• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fault - Possible Dead CPU ?

Associate
Brand new Motherboard.

Monitor displaying No VGA Cable. Tried multiple new cables and three monitors.

Would a dead CPU be able to cause this and would a dead CPU stop the Mother board Bios from running at start up ?

Associate
OP
Dosen't seem to be on the cpu support list? Seems to be an AM2+/AM3 cpu whereas your board seems to be only AM3+? I know little about AMD so sorry if i'm wrong.

I'm in the same boat re : AMD last year or two. I did check and thought it was compatible. Maybe I done goofed.

Anyone tell me what the cheapest CPU I can look at for that Motherboard is please ? Guessing I'm looking at :

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-322-AM&groupid=701&catid=1967&subcat=803 ???

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems i was wrong about being AM3+ only, but the cpu seems not to be on the list. From what i remember, A64 and onwards cpus tended not to boot when not supported by BIOS in a lot of cases (distinctly remember when i had 30 Winchester cpus and all the boards had an older Newcastle only BIOS, fun days flashing 30 boards with the one newcastle i had, soldered chip too so no hot flash!). Seems the Sempron 140 is the lowest it'll suppport.

Associate
OP
Seems i was wrong about being AM3+ only, but the cpu seems not to be on the list. From what i remember, A64 and onwards cpus tended not to boot when not supported by BIOS in a lot of cases (distinctly remember when i had 30 Winchester cpus and all the boards had an older Newcastle only BIOS, fun days flashing 30 boards with the one newcastle i had, soldered chip too so no hot flash!). Seems the Sempron 140 is the lowest it'll suppport.

OK mate thank you.

May sound dumb to most folk but I wasn't sure if the CPU was involved in the BIOS boot process.

I've ordered one of those 250s.

Back
Top Bottom