• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Faulty CPU?

Soldato
I bought a 3900X at launch, dropped into my X370 K7 board but it crashes every now and then and reboots itself, while gaming, browsing or even idle. It's completely random, it can happen 5 minutes after boot or even a couple of hours. I've tried upping the voltage, dropping the IF speed, disabling XMP, even tried a fresh Windows install but the crashes happen regardless. Switch back to my 1600X and it's all stable. I try again every time there's a BIOS update (last one being June 2020), but it still crashes.

Fast forward to now and I recently upgraded to X570 Tomahawk, thinking maybe the K7 can't handle the CPU. Unfortunately I'm getting the same crashes here and I also tried doing the same steps previously to try get it stable, but it will crash and randomly reboot. I also have a fresh install of Windows but it still happens.

Event viewer comes up with this: https://i.imgur.com/15yg1ny.jpg

Is this a CPU problem? Is it time for me to RMA?

EDIT: Update on this, RMA's the CPU, replacement arrived today. So far everything has been rock solid stable with a quick run with Prime95 and Intel Burn Test, so looks like the CPU really was indeed faulty.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Have you tested the memory ?

Memory is stable, I tested them one stick at a time with a few runs of memtest with XMP on and off.

Read somewhere about a Bios setting option of "Typical Current Idle" solving the issue for some, along with a tickle of LLC.

Also some recommendations for disabling C6 or C-states altogether

I've tried fiddling with anything power related including those options but to no avail.

Back
Top Bottom