Faulty hardware

Associate
So I just finished building my new pc. Went to switch it on for the first time and absolutely nothing happened. No sign of any lights on the motherboard or fan movement. Triple checked all wiring was still connected ok. So I put it down to either a faulty psu or motherboard. The psu is the corsair rm1000 and mobo is Gigabyte Aorus Master. I have tried a little research of my own and attempted the paper clip test on the psu. Nothing happened and no fan movement. I understand that the fan will initially turn on when first switched on? Can I safely assume its the power supply. They are all brand new parts so ideally need to make sure. Unfortunately I don't have access to another psu.

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:
Soldato
not teaching you how to suck eggs...but i'm going to ask anyway
the switch at the back of the PSU is switched on right?
1000 million hundred eleventy percent this. I worked in a guitar shop at the repair desk - "My guitar wiring is broken".

Have you tried a different cable?

"Yes I've got loads of cables, the guitar's faulty"

OK - I'm just going to test mine as I know it's good. Oh look it works fine - can I sell you a working cable sir?

9 times out of 10 it was this or no battery (in guitars that use a battery). I've become known at my current tech job for asking "Is it plugged in" and being right most of the time :D

It's not that people are stupid, just that it's the most common/easiest mistake to make :)

Back
Top Bottom