Faulty Motherboard or PSU????

Associate
Hi guys I need some advise please, I just finished my new build and I go to power on my system everything lights up the cpu fan spins as do the fans on the graphics cards but there's nothing happening on the monitor no output what so ever. Now one thing I have noticed when going through the usual rigmarole of taking different RAM sticks out and putting the graphics cards in different lanes is that every time a go to power on the system it switches on then immediately powers down, I then have to hit the power button again to get it going, I'm thinking the psu isn't right?

specs are

cpu- 3930k
2x sapphire hd 7970
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Intel X79
G.Skill RipJawsZ 32GB
Corsair Professional Series AX1200

Soldato
Have you OC`ed the cpu?
Are your ram settings and voltage correct?
Check GPUs are seated properly, power connecters are pushed in and monitor leads are also properly connected.
Use onboard graphics and see if the monitor displays.
Sometimes it`s something simple that has been over looked.

RJC

RJC

Don
Double check the 8 pin for CPU power is connected and try single memory module.

Also try a CMOS. Reset.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the feed back guys, Im still struggling away to try and resolve this but might have had a small break through of some sort, I cleared the cmos then powered on and the screen came up with the bios so I thought great changed a few setting then hit the reset button thinking I will be loading windows any minute then the pc powers up and boom no signal to the monitor again. I cleared cmos again went into bios my graphics card is there as is my one stick on 4gb ram all the voltages are in order reset and again no signal....Doh.......

Associate
Sounds very similar to a PSU dying issue I had quite a while ago system would always power up but wouldn't post a lot of the time and I did a load of random things then it would post again....

Associate
OP
Right i'm 95% certain its a psu issue, i have tried both of my 7970's now and neither are giving me any output to my monitor even though the fans are spinning on the card, I have tried three different cables HDMI DVI AND VGA with no success, can safely assume it aint the graphics cards. When I go to press power on the mobo it powers on few like three seconds then turns off so I have to press it again, the psu just doesn't sound stable to me.... Might have to RMA this.....

RJC

RJC

Don
As mentioned earlier is it possible to test with another PSU or try the Corsair in another system.

You could possibly have a faulty motherboard :(

Another test is run the system external to the case.

Associate
My old PSU would do something similar. Power on, 5 secs of power, Power Down, about 5 secs later power back on and POST and evertying fine, but was a bit weird. Changed PSU (as I was going to anyway for other reasons) and everyting was fine. Didn't happen all the time only fairly randomly so guessing PSU on the way out giving voltages that werent particularly stable and casuing problems.

Associate
I had this exact thing with my new build, turned out the cmos pins had no jumper on. But i'm assuming yours does since you say you reset it?

Soldato
PSU usually makes a noise first, maybe not, these symptons could also be a blown cpu and mobo

mine is a blown cpu and mobo..... cpu paste leaked onto pins, this happened 3 days ago, not my new rig below my old AMD one

Back
Top Bottom