Faulty Motherboard?

Associate
Hi all

I built a new PC (https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/spec-me-advice-on-fixing-old-computer.18798543/)

The full specs are:
B350M Mortar
Ryzen 1600
16 Gb Team Group Dark Pro
Samsung 850 SSD
Old R7850 (I don't game much)

I built it on Sunday but then had troubles installing windows, so had a break. Last night after work I realised that the problems were from the USB 3 ports so swapped to USB 2 and once I'd found the correct driver for the chipset (which was a bit painful), windows installed perfectly. I then installed the chipset drivers and graphics drivers before update the BIOS to the most recent because of issues people have had. The flash went fine and I installed Office, AIDA and benchmarking stuff with about 3 restarts total for windows and office updates. Temps in BIOS have been fine (42/43) and I haven't run anything taxing yet.

This morning I was going to sort out accessing my user files from old hard drive (VISTA) and begin to run some benchmarks, but the PC just wont post this morning. There are no beeps, the CPU and DRAM lights flash for 1s, then turn off. The monitor works fine for detecting a new device, but gets no signal from the graphics card. Nothing has physically changed in the case since the install. All power cables are present and every powers up as you would expect (fans and HDD spinning).

Ive tried removing everything non-essential (Not graphics card as I understand Ryzen has no inbuilt support so the MB graphics card is non-functioning). Ive used the jumper CMOS reset, remove battery. Ive tried a single RAM stick in A2 position (and swapped them). I've tried the MSI recommendation of placing a BIOS file on a Fat32 keystick to make it flash, but nothing happens and it makes no attempt to read the USB stick (no lights flash). I don't have a space graphics card to try, but the chances of having a graphics card suddenly fail and give no output is strange and equally the motherboard can detect a VGA error and should give a light up LED, but nothing happens.

My last attempt is going to be to rebuild outside the case, but I don't see how it can be due to shorting when the case has been built and closed for 24 hours before this fault started. Anyone have any ideas? Or is RMA time?

Many thanks

Associate
Try it out of case, dust it off incase some particles got through causing a contact somewhere, remove power cable and press and hold power on switch to discharge capacitors, test without graphic card, remove heatsink, cpu and re-install them. if all fails rma time...

Associate
OP
It was no better outside the case. Ive tried a cheap graphics card and no luck. Ive tried the motherboard manual RAM positions with no luck, can try the positions I'm not meant to use to see if that helps. Otherwise I`ll check the CPU is sitting correctly and nothing more I can do before RMA I think.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom