Faulty Patriot XBLK?

Associate
I have been running memtest for the last two days (I should have done this two years ago when I first bought the memory) and both memtest and memtest86 detect errors in one of my dual channel memory Patriot sticks (XBLK 2-2-2-5, 2x512Mb)

The reason to do that was that I have recently bought another pair of the same sticks (exactly the same configuration) up to 2 Gb (of course I went to T2).

First I ran memtest (freeware) for 3 hours over 1024 Mb unused RAM without errors. Then I ran the memtest Pro in two windows in parallel (812 Mb each). The first window immediately started generating errors at a frightening rate.

This morning I started memtest86 and identified that one of the sticks (that had been running for almost two years in my rig) keeps on generating errors. It looks like RMA to me but I would like to ask what else I need to run in order to be absolutely certain that this is the case.

I have read that sometimes memtest86 does not detect anything while memtest running under Windows picks out any instability. In my case both test programs picked out enough errors to prove that something is wrong with my memory.

It is a shame as Patriot have great timings even at PC5400 rates.

They have Lifetime warranty and I hope to get new sticks soon (although I do not like the idea of sending them over to CA, USA).

Any advice would be highky appreciated!

Cheers,
Jordan

Associate
OP
Minstadave said:
Definately sounds like RMA time.

Thanks Minstadave for your immediate response!

I have read that memtest86 is officially accepted as a standard test and it is included in the test downloads at Patriot website. I am going to drop them a line.

Cheers,
Jordan

Caporegime
Memtest86 test 5 and 8 are the most sensitive and good at picking up errors. Windows memtest is probably even more sensitive still. If either were erroring I'd return the memory and let them sort it out.

Back
Top Bottom