FC5 and Gentoo

Associate
Howdy,

Right I've been using Ubuntu for a good 6 months as my primary OS and it's been great. But I'm going to try the above two distros (FC5 because everyone is raving about it and I want to see what the fuss is and Gentoo because I want to learn more about linux, compilation, etc.). Also I'm beginning to not like the way Ubuntu is heading, but I'm wondering if you anyone can good sites for info/how-tos/docs on the above distros (I know the official docs pages but incase there's any smaller sites which provide useful info).

DHR

DHR

Soldato
Been a suse user for a few years, started using Fedora 5 over the weekend and its fantastic probably never go back to suse again!

Associate
OP
It's just a few little things about Ubuntu that seem to be tweaked towards the new user. Now this isn't a bad thing (I welcome it greatly since Linux has a lot of potential), but as time goes on I feel Ubuntu is less and less for me. I was a power user on Windows, and now that I have a fair bit of knowledge about Linux (I feel very comfortable with a term window, term commands etc.) I feel like I'm maybe being held back a tad.

The reason I'm considering Gentoo is I want to comfortable with the idea of compiling, I'm in the process of learning C (uni class and will probably continue learning after it - moving into C++) and hence want to know more about compilation, how to spot potential errors, interpreting errors, compile flags, etc. Not that fussed by the speed increase (if any) given by self-compilation. I may move to FC5 if I'm impressed but time shall tell.

P.S We should probably have a sticky with all the recommended distros, links to how-tos, etc. Think there was a post a while ago about the lack of stickies.

Associate
Give gentoo a try for sure. The offical docs are very good, and the gentoo-wiki is also great once you have your install up and running.

Gentoo is definately the way to go if you want to learn about whats under the hood. Also portage is such a sexy package system :D

Soldato
I'd say if you want to learn, gentoo stage1 is pretty good :)

it's probably one of the best learning experiences on linux. Altho having to wait for everything to compile on every little update does get a little boring and is time consuming :(

I've not tried FC5, am still using ubuntu and gentoo atm.

Back
Top Bottom