Feel a current when iPad charging

Soldato
Hi forum just noticed when I removed the switch easy cover from my iPad
And placed it on my table with apple mains charger I feel the current on the
Metal on the back

It feels like one of those metal lamp bases that you can turn the lights on and off

Is this common or is it a fault

Soldato
Do you have the full length cable plugged in, or the shorter one? (i.e from the brick do you have the small plug or the extension plugged in)?

With the MBs the shorter one doesn't have a proper ground so you can feel it through the chassis, may be the same thing here.

Soldato
OP
I still feel the current using all three cables I did however find my original iPhone 4 plug a tried it in that and I don't feel the current

Caporegime
Do you have the full length cable plugged in, or the shorter one? (i.e from the brick do you have the small plug or the extension plugged in)?

With the MBs the shorter one doesn't have a proper ground so you can feel it through the chassis, may be the same thing here.

I've no idea where this came from, but there's no electrical connection between the earth pin on the charger and the dock connector / MagSafe. It's a double insulated appliance. No laptops / phones / low voltage appliances have a connection to earth.

Soldato
I've no idea where this came from, but there's no electrical connection between the earth pin on the charger and the dock connector / MagSafe. It's a double insulated appliance. No laptops / phones / low voltage appliances have a connection to earth.

Then I don't know the proper reason, that's just what I was told. All I know is quite often when you can feel the tingling, swapping the short plug for the longer stops it. If there's no reason why that would make any difference, then I dunno. Coincidence? It certainly seems to do it, possibly I just have the actual reason confused.

Soldato
Then I don't know the proper reason, that's just what I was told. All I know is quite often when you can feel the tingling, swapping the short plug for the longer stops it. If there's no reason why that would make any difference, then I dunno. Coincidence? It certainly seems to do it, possibly I just have the actual reason confused.

It's because the full length cable is earthed where the short cable isn't.

Soldato

Well they must have something earthing it, otherwise where is all that static going when the full length charger is used?

Soldato
its probably NOT the ipad, you probably have a fault on your electrics...

if its a odd sort of tingling I have had it several times..

CAREFUL how you go about testing this, in the past the better earthed I am the worse the tingling which can also jsut decide to zap you...

speak to a proper electrician,

i had it at home twice (a faulty tumble dryer, and a fridge), and at a customers once with a faulty fridge, another time it was faulty wiring..

despite it being a mains fault I never received a mains shock just a very odd tingling so dont rule out mains because it did not kill you...

Soldato
OP
When you say you can feel the current do you mean that you're getting an electrical shock?
no no just a slight current I do not get it with the iphone 4 white plug usb one but still get the current using the ipad supplied mains to usb charger and my ipod usb to mains charger..

Associate
Is it a bit of a tingly vibration on your fingertips? (ohh err :p). Mine does that, but not always when it's plugged in, I find it's the surface that it's resting on, the iPad seems to dislike certain surfaces and makes you feel a bit funny...

Back
Top Bottom