Feeling small in the *ahem* trouser department?

1.1kW PSU? There's a thread somewhere else where someone is advising to swap from a 430W Seasonic to a 530W Seasonic for futureproofing. I think he needs to revise his future goals somewhat if the top machine of today needs 1.1kW of power. It's almost unbelievable.

Yeah, but you don't future proof for the top of the range overkill option. You do it so you won't have to upgrade a part for the next gen new stuff.

This isn't new. It's just 2pcs put together :p Next gen pc's will use less power, run faster with a single card(or 2.. possibly not on dx9 stuff, or not at 32xaa :p) and have dx10support :rolleyes:

I take that point absolutely (even with all the smileys) but the Shuttles run SLi etc. with genuine 350W power supplies, so why does everything else need so much more?

In my opinion it doesn't. It's all people 'building in a bit extra' or 'future proofing' and as most people in the other thread stated, 430W by Seasonic is plenty.

Using this updated PSU calculator it worked out that the system would need 479W, at full load, with the FX60 overclocked to 2.8GHz. That calculator doesn't have the option to select quad SLi but i very much doubt that two more cards will take it up from 479W to 1.1Kw.

mark1 said:
Using this updated PSU calculator it worked out that the system would need 479W, at full load, with the FX60 overclocked to 2.8GHz. That calculator doesn't have the option to select quad SLi but i very much doubt that two more cards will take it up from 479W to 1.1Kw.

according to that i need 697w before i even overclock my gfx cards, and if i ad in watercooling and everything im look at 800w

Back
Top Bottom