Ferrari F80

I used to get really excited at the launch of a new supercar or hypercar. These days it's just meh. I'll never get to drive one or even see one. 99% of them will never get driven and will just sit in an air-conditioned warehouse, waiting for the time its owner needs to free up some cash, only to be trailered to its new air-conditioned warehouse for its new owner.
To me, they might as well not even bother putting an engine in it. The only time it will be started is for its pre-delivery shakedown. After that, it will just sit.
As a piece of art I can appreciate it. As a statement of intent, or as a demonstration of the state-of-the-art when it comes to manufacturing technologies, I can also kind of see it but it just leaves me cold.
Give me a bolt-by-bolt restomod of an AC Cobra or a Mustang and I'll be properly jumping up and down like a schoolboy with sand in his pants. This, no.

It's not the worst I've seen, I actually think it's fairly interesting from a design PoV, it's definitely doing some unique things versus recent competition. Do I think it looks pretty - no. I expect that making something fast around a track whilst also making a pretty design is not very easy, since aero gains are so important you end up designing it for that. Back with the F40, F50 etc, this was a concern, but nothing like now if you want lap records etc. and I'm sure the design had a lot more creative freedom back then because of it.

I still think some of the best recent hypercars that look somewhat elegant and would be good to actually drive are the GMA T33 and T50. If I had unlimited funds they would probably go there instead. But maybe the target audience for Ferrari here is not me but instead those who chase numbers, visual impact and for investment rather than actually driving the thing.

Back
Top Bottom