FIA confirm Michael Masi removed as race director

Glad Masi's gone, however I have some concerns over the new race directors.

Firstly, Niels Wittich was in charge of the absolute **** show at the last round of DTM, so that really doesn't bode too well. Secondly, having two separate race directors is just asking for inconsistency between races.

Freitas I do rate highly, though. His stewardship of the WEC has been excellent for many years.

Good!

This is also good, we need Herbie:-

"Freitas and Wittich will be assisted by F1 veteran Herbie Blash, who was the deputy race director under former FIA F1 director Charlie Whiting."

Last edited:
Firstly, Niels Wittich was in charge of the absolute **** show at the last round of DTM, so that really doesn't bode too well.

None of that was down to Wittich, though, and the idea that the RD should be responsible for that rather that for fairly applying the rules is the problem with Masi.

Secondly, having two separate race directors is just asking for inconsistency between races.

The RD shouldn't be doing that much that makes things consistent or not and the new virtual group should more than make up for it. Meanwhile, splitting the role should make it more manageable which will help with the level of stress that I think led to Masi's blunder.

"Freitas and Wittich will be assisted by F1 veteran Herbie Blash, who was the deputy race director under former FIA F1 director Charlie Whiting."

Removing the ability for team personnel to call up the race director would be better for that...

Well, they're also doing that. But the Race Directory has a lot of other work outside of the race weekend. Masi, for example, had to visit each of the new tracks before the race weekend and had the same crazy, bloated, continent hopping schedule as the teams to work all that around. The new approach allows better balancing of their workloads.

Correct decision, although when I read that two men will alternate the role I rolled my eyes.

FIA - bringing you inconsistency, consistently.

I doubt this eliminates the burning sense of injustice Hamilton will no doubt feel after having the title stolen from him. Hopefully it will at least keep him in the sport though.

Fingers crossed this leads to more consistent race direction in line with the actual rules in the handbook.

Back
Top Bottom