FIA confirm Michael Masi removed as race director

Masi f'd up no doubt, and I fully welcome his removal. However, I don't believe he was trying to fix the race result. He just didn't want to finish under yellows and chose to bin the rule book to achieve that.
He chose to keep to the agreement with all the teams not to finish a race under a safety car, that is a fact.

I am not surprised he's been offered a new role. After all the vitriol he has recieved from the, so called, f1 fans he probably no longer wanted a job where the fia hung him out to dry.

He, along with Latifi he faced death threats from number of individuals and from Lewis fanboys and probably, like Latifi, had to employ bodyguards to protect him. Even here in OC there were references to having him shot.

Honestly I feel sorry for both of them and I also that fia clearly got it wrong way before the last race in giving one individual the extremely high pressure role without any support then allow all the teams to have access to him.

A sorry saga created by the fia..

F.I.A. - Farcical Incidents Abundant? 2022 season headline?

Are they going to clarify who is really in charge of the race now, and what the exact rules and procedures are, and that they won't change if it is the first race of the season, the last race or anything in-between, and that no changes will be made even if doesn't make the 'best viewing spectacle' for a title decider.

I'm still not convinced they've done the right thing, but I am sure we'll find out soon enough and I really hope for the sake of the actual sport not the viewers, things are much more consistent.

Correct decision, although when I read that two men will alternate the role I rolled my eyes.

FIA - bringing you inconsistency, consistently.

But Herbie will be there every race as senior advisor, whoever is the race director that weekend will refer to along with VAR type panel, to make final decision, so sounds like a very good system for fair and consistent decisions.

Also new rules on safety car use, and regarding the unlapping of cars under safety car, are coming out soon.

He chose to keep to the agreement with all the teams not to finish a race under a safety car, that is a fact.

I am not surprised he's been offered a new role. After all the vitriol he has recieved from the, so called, f1 fans he probably no longer wanted a job where the fia hung him out to dry.

He, along with Latifi he faced death threats from number of individuals and from Lewis fanboys and probably, like Latifi, had to employ bodyguards to protect him. Even here in OC there were references to having him shot.

Honestly I feel sorry for both of them and I also that fia clearly got it wrong way before the last race in giving one individual the extremely high pressure role without any support then allow all the teams to have access to him.

A sorry saga created by the fia..

That IS NOT a rule in the book, so he could have, and should have, completely ignored it.

A verbal agreement means nothing.

Black and white rules in the book, are all that should be abided by.

I don't think the old rules were the problem (the problem is that Masi ignored them) but I do hope they change to making lapped cars drop to the back and crediting them a lap.

The rules were a little open to interpretation, as was proved by the Mercedes challenges and appeal being overturned.

Hopefully all grey areas will be re worded and not open to any dodgy interpretations.

The rules were a little open to interpretation, as was proved by the Mercedes challenges and appeal being overturned.

Hopefully all grey areas will be re worded and not open to any dodgy interpretations.
The rules will always be open to interpretation no matter how well they are written when it is the FIA investigating itself, as we already found out.

That IS NOT a rule in the book, so he could have, and should have, completely ignored it.

A verbal agreement means nothing.

Black and white rules in the book, are all that should be abided by.
Couldn’t agree more.

It’s ridiculous that he tried to argue that as his primary defence.

If they didn’t want to strip Max after the fact, I’d have been happy if they’d reviewed the race and simply struck the result from the record. This is the next best result imo.

If they didn’t want to strip Max after the fact, I’d have been happy if they’d reviewed the race and simply struck the result from the record. This is the next best result imo.

Generally in sport, mistakes by referees are not litigable after the fact. A football team doesn't get a do-over because the ref fluffed a penalty decision, etc. Even in F1 penalties applied during the race can't be litigated after the fact (only time penalties applied to the final result). If they admitted fault but left the result as it, I'd also be okay with that.

The rules will always be open to interpretation no matter how well they are written when it is the FIA investigating itself, as we already found out.

But if rules are clear and black and white, with nothing along lines of "anything to do with safety car is at race directors discretion" then everyone knows where they stand surely?

If they did that wouldn't Max still have got the title due to number of wins? Not sure how I feel about that but it would have gone further (probably too far for the FIA) to admit the last race was a cluster f. That said, Hamilton 100% deserved the race win on the day, so to have it stripped would be harsh.

Back
Top Bottom