Fidget Spinners (and other toys) Thread [Image heavy]

Soldato
Fidget toys are probably one of my favourite things at the moment, I have a few different things on my desk at work to keep my idle hands busy and to stop fiddling with pens or whatever else I can get my hands on. They're also claimed to be good to help with anxiety, autism and ADHD.

Fidget Spinners -

These have only became a thing within the last 4 months and are my personal favourite fidget toy. They're a ball bearing which can be ceramic, hybrid or steel and surrounded by a body of metal (Copper, Brass, Stainless steel, Titanium) or plastic. These range from relatively cheap to insanely expensive. What do you do with them? Just spin them of course, and these things spin for ages if you get a good one (4 minutes +).

Spinners:
(I've selected one spinner from each company, for the most part they have a few different ones to buy)

Spinetic - Ranges from $34 - $39
eCDOVla.jpg

NobleSpin - Ranges from $39 - $99
2hPvQiP.jpg

Torqbar - Ranges from $139 - $199
(Highly regarded Chinese knock offs can be had for $17 from www.3Fvape.com)
mE0Hjgd.jpg

Spinner.vn (Hyperstone) - £64
OCsmda4.jpg

Rotablade - Ranges from £95 - £165
GzzBj9w.jpg

Flyaway Toys - Ranges from $35 - $119
wIRD6T0.jpg

NTO Designs - Ranges from $52 - $149
2F2NQ8G.jpg

Goldundmesserschmiede - 149,00 €
oh02Z37.jpg

2rdesigns - Ranges from $50 - $85
eql6g6R.jpg

RPM Corp - Ranges from $55 - $100
785DhJh.jpg

Fidget This - Ranges from £32 - £45
HJ8TlxT.jpg

Zerofued - Ranges from $55 - $180
bd3UX06.jpg

FromRussiaWithKnives - $173
LmPMOdo.jpg

3D Printed spinners -
These come in all shapes and sizes, and range from £15 - £50 on Etsy.

Other fidget toys:

Fidget Cube -
https://www.antsylabs.com/products/fidget-cube

Lots of people will have heard of this, a cube where each side has a different thing to use to keep your hands busy by clicking, gliding, flipping, breathing, rolling & spinning.

Fidget Rings -
https://www.etsy.com/uk/market/fidget_ring

These are all over Etsy, some cheap, some very expensive. A ring you wear which has twistable things around the outside of it. A lot more discreet than the cube and other fidget toys.

Fidget Chains -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chain-Fidget-Autism-Stress-Hands/dp/B01N1WEHE1

This fidget toy is relatively inexpensive, made from a bike chain normally with loops going through it. Haven't tried one of these yet, however it gets really good reviews.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Wow that is some expensive pointlessness

Pointless to a degree, they can help with anxiety and they're something else to fiddle with at your desk, I'm terrible for doing it at work, pens, paper clips, notepads, anything. Some are really damn expensive but others aren't bad price wise (Spinetic and the Chinese rip-off torqbar).

Great thread, I was considering whether to buy a fidget spinner or a spinning top after seeing them on Massdrop. Yet another expensive pointless hobby I'm getting into :D

Definitely worth getting a cheap one first (Spinetic and the Chinese rip-off torqbar), since I got my Noblespin Vantage I haven't put it down.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
Op has some investment in the company... Or maybe just ADHD fidgety?

These are all by different companies, I picked my favourite one from each company to give an idea of the range of them. But most of them have a few others to choose from. So definitely just fidgety!

Out of interest, what's so terrible about fiddling with things like pens, paper clips, notepads etc?

Nothing is wrong with it at all, just these fidget toys are more fun to fiddle with than pens.

Soldato
OP
Exactly at Matsy says, some people may find them pointless, but they're not for everyone. Just people who like to fidget with things at their desk.

As I said in the other thread, I had no idea stuff like this existed - Have just ordered a Copper Torqbar (Knockoff) $25. I'm constantly fiddling with stuff when on the phone in work, had to have one of these.

hdcyo7s.jpg

Nate

Good choice, this is my one, I went for aluminium. Brass and copper will spin longer due to the weight:

Soldato
OP
How are you fiddling exactly? Once it's spun, it kinda seems like just something to watch rather than play with.

It makes a humming sensation between your fingers which is really relaxing and soothing, if you tilt them it also makes some vibrate slightly to give you a different sensation.

Do your hands smell of metal after fidgeting with that? Genuine question.

Nope not at all. At least not with my 2, you may get it with uncoated brass or copper though.

I'm confused by this, you use these at WORK? I wish i could idly sit at my desk and spin something rather than actually, you know, work!

When you're developing, you're not constantly coding, a lot of the time is problem solving and reading, the perfect time to fiddle.

I was thinking about buying one of these the other day, actually. They look like good fun to play with. I'm a bit of a fidgeter so would quite like one, but I'm definitely going to get an eBay knock-off.

I'd suggest the same as Nate for a starter spinner, they're very good and fairly cheap. If you don't want a spinner the Fidget Cube is an awesome piece of kit.

Soldato
OP
Hmm I don't see why you need these. My desk is /covered/ with fiddling bits. From locks, small knives, electronics bits, marbles, wires, small tools etc etc. Just get tinkering guys, make 'projects' and so on, and you'll get enough 'fidgetting' kit for several lifetimes!

Consolidates all of them into one product.

Grow up and stop fidgeting.

Good contribution to the thread, grow up and move on without posting. :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
My eldest is autistic and fidget toys really help calm him down, thanks for taking the time to put all these in a thread, OP (especially where to buy the cheap but good quality knock off) :)

Awesome, hope it helps them!

profit margins on those things must be pretty insane :eek:

I think the price is high because they're not able to be mass produced yet as they're relatively new. I think given a few months the prices of them should hopefully drop to make them more accessible to other people, right now they're niche and they're charged as a premium product, but more and more companies are creating cheaper ones which should help reduce the cost.

I bought a fidget cube (well, a cheap Chinese clone anyway) for my son. He has mild ADHD and it helps keep him focused in classes. The teachers have noticed a distinct improvement in his behaviour since he's had the cube so that's a win in my book. I took to messing about with it and found that it stops me picking my nails (worse than biting them because I can't even use that foul tasting goop that stops you chewing). Win v2. :)

That's great! I'm just as bad for fiddling with my beard if I don't have something else in front of me :o

Soldato
OP
I was thinking the same thing, feel sorry for people that are this bored in work.

Not bored in work I really enjoy my job, it's just something to fiddle with as you work. Helps me think and focus while I'm developing.

I've avoided posting in this thread as I'm a very firm believer of different strokes for different folks but I can't help myself.

You guys actually spend £70 on something which has absolutely no purpose whatsoever than to keep your fingers busy? What happened to pens, paperclips, etc? This is just bonkers. I bet the manufacturers are having a ball.

If you fidgeted a lot, you'd realise how good they are to keep your hands busy. I do it without realising, the worst is when I fidget with my beard, sometimes if I get anxious I can start pulling hairs out without even realising I'm doing it.

A lot of people won't "get" this, because they don't fidget and that's fine, but if you did you'd see the benefit of having something like this. I'm not defending the price, because they are ridiculously expensive for what they are, but it's a new thing so it's niche, so they're charging a premium.

Soldato
OP
ok one thing I don't get, if you want something to fidget with, then spinning something and staying as still as possible for 4 mins surely is the most counter productive thing you can do?

The cube looks like a good idea, as you ACTUALLY DO STUFF.

You don't sit there still and look at it for 4 minutes, you just hold it in 1 hand and spin it while you're doing other stuff.

Back
Top Bottom