Fiesta Fuel Injector Costs

Soldato
Hi,

Had an engine fail / power loss while driving in otherwise problem free 2010 fiesta recently, this got diagnosed at a ford garage as a fuel injector fault.

They've costed this up as £630 for purchase of and fitting a new fuel injector. On top of this, £135 for fixing a non-immediate oil leak on the sump and £210 for new break disks. Just to make sure sure I'm not being totally ripped off, do these sound sensible costings or do I need to shop around or push for discount?

I think i'm just about ok with spending 50% the cars value on repairs, as i've not had to spend anything on it in 10 years ownership... :(

Soldato
OP
£630 to supply and fit a fuel injector on a Fiesta, wtf?

Caveated with I have 0 car knowledge - that sounds bad? This is the result of their Ford engine fault code diagnosis, revealing "requires new injector" - which fits the with the sudden loss of power and fault while driving.

What sort of RRP would that part have? I was told it's an expensive part, would have to be ordered specially but otherwise is quite easy for them to fit.

Caporegime
A quick search on ECP shows, with offer code, around £70. not sure if it's the right one though!

Edit looks like it's the wrong one! £320 with code. ouch!

Caporegime
I'm no Ford expect, someone may be along shortly with an idea of how long the job takes to do, they are a pig to bleed and get running again.

A quick search on ECP shows, with offer code, around £70. not sure if it's the right one though!

For a Fiesta Diesel 2010 injector, cheapest i can see is 249? You can get a petrol 1.2 injector for your price.

Caporegime
I'm no Ford expect, someone may be along shortly with an idea of how long the job takes to do, they are a pig to bleed and get running again.

For a Fiesta Diesel 2010 injector, cheapest i can see is 249? You can get a petrol 1.2 injector for your price.
I see that now. using a quick Ebay reg for a 2011 1.6TDCI £320 for a Bosch one.

Soldato
There's no perhaps about it.

Have you ever inspected an engine that's been run on supermarket fuel vs one ran on V-Power etc? I've seen with my own eyes the effect good fuel has on the internals of an engine.

I won't run any car I care about on rubbish fuel. Even my lowly MG ZT diesel gets V-Power diesel... I don't do it for any performance benefit either.

I've also had two sets of injectors cleaned, taken from the same model of engine. One set was my own and ran on V-Power for 20k miles, the other was an unknown set that I sent away to be tested. My set came back with absolutely no improvement after being ultrasonically cleaned whereas the unknown set had a vast improvement in the flow figures after cleaning.

Cheap fuel is no different to cheap tyres, a false economy.

Associate
Take it to a local mechanic, should be no more than 2 hours labor... £100? + part cost. Some places to refurbished injectors so worth looking into this.

Same for the brake discs, hour labour + parts should be £100/£120 all in.

Soldato
£210 for brake discs is definitely steep. You can get original Ford Fiesta brake discs for £50-60 on ebay - I bought a pair last month for a 2009 Fiesta and fitted them myself. At an indy garage I'd expect no more than an hour's labour to just change a set of discs, so as above, it should be possible for somewhere around the £100 mark all in.

Associate
much time on doing the diagnostics, this is where the money is normally spent, you will proberly have a couple of hundred on that alone.

Back
Top Bottom