FIFA World Cup 2018 - GROUP D [Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria - 16/21/22/26 June] **spoilers**

Soldato
People saying other Argentina players weren’t Messi’s level, but he hardly tried himself. Can’t play without world class players around him whereas Ronaldo can it seems.

Soldato
I hope Argentina don't get into the playoffs - it would just be so wrong imo

It wouldn't surprise me however, they could absolutely hammer Nigeria

Don
lmfao at that last goal, Mascherano waving at his mother in the crowd instead of getting back in to make a challenge.
Aye just watching the replay of that. Every one of that group of players that just walked back when they lost the ball in Croatia's box shouldn’t be getting a game again.

Argentina are out, there’s no way this team will beat Nigeria.

Caporegime
People saying other Argentina players weren’t Messi’s level, but he hardly tried himself. Can’t play without world class players around him whereas Ronaldo can it seems.
To be fair, the Portuguese team play as a team and look to get the ball to Ronaldo as soon as they win it back. Argentina were kicking it against each other at the back then hoofing it long because they don't have a midfield. Ronaldo would struggle in a team as disjointed as Argentina.

Man of Honour
To be fair, the Portuguese team play as a team and look to get the ball to Ronaldo as soon as they win it back. Argentina were kicking it against each other at the back then hoofing it long because they don't have a midfield. Ronaldo would struggle in a team as disjointed as Argentina.

Yup obviously both will be heavily marked players but Messi seems always to be played position and strategy wise very poorly for making the most of his presence on the pitch and you can tell from his face he knows it.

Caporegime
Yup obviously both will be heavily marked players but Messi seems always to be played position and strategy wise very poorly for making the most of his presence on the pitch and you can tell from his face he knows it.
Ronaldo works hard for the team and often runs back to win the ball but Messi was dropping deep to pick up the ball off Mascherano in their first game because, as Fabregas said, they play a 5-0-5 fortmation. That's all on Louis Spence tbh.

Man of Honour
Ronaldo works hard for the team and often runs back to win the ball but Messi was dropping deep to pick up the ball off Mascherano in their first game because, as Fabregas said, they play a 5-0-5 fortmation. That's all on Louis Spence tbh.

I've always had a low opinion of managers (not just in football but any sport or business etc.) who can't see when their strategy isn't working and that it would be better to try anything else but persist because that is what they've trained and know best and somehow think that if they keep repeating it somehow they will come through when everyone else can plainly see its flawed.

I mean it might be a great strategy but playing it indiscriminately when your opponent shows strengths against it is just purely stupidity.

Soldato
Problem is no one around him was even close to the same level - the few chances he got to ask questions of his team they fell far short.

(Which ultimately is the manager's fail).

Sorry, I don't agree with this. They might not be great players but they are still better than a lot of the players that Croatia and Iceland have. And, while they might not be at the same level as him, that's no excuse for his complete lack of effort. He is their Talisman, other players are going to look up to him and follow his lead. It was like he didn't even want to get on the ball. His disinterest affected the whole team.

Man of Honour
Sorry, I don't agree with this. They might not be great players but they are still better than a lot of the players that Croatia and Iceland have. And, while they might not be at the same level as him, that's no excuse for his complete lack of effort. He is their Talisman, other players are going to look up to him and follow his lead. It was like he didn't even want to get on the ball. His disinterest affected the whole team.

Maybe so but the odd few times he showed any interest and asked anything of his team mates they were making basic errors and giving the ball away easy.

I know that disinterest look - he is convinced he isn't being leveraged for his abilities and being pushed into playing in a way that he doesn't feel comfortable with and has no confidence in the rest of the team to perform so feels little incentive to exert himself and ultimately a good manager should be dealing with that.

Soldato
I hope Argentina don't get into the playoffs - it would just be so wrong imo

It wouldn't surprise me however, they could absolutely hammer Nigeria

Might not be in their power to qualify if Iceland win tomorrow. Am I right in thinking Argentina would need to beat Nigeria by at least 4 goals?

Back
Top Bottom