FIFA World Cup 2018 - Semi-finals [10/11 July] **spoilers**

Caporegime
Ahh I thought that may have been the case, the video conveniently didn't show Mandzukic punching the ball away.

Yeah, I bet the video didn't show that Rebic should've been booked in the first half for a bad challenge from behind on Young as well. The ref was a ****.

"Cuneyt Cakir" - I can think of a more appropriate first name.

Caporegime
I don't see why we have to let them off the hook for not at least progressing to the final. That second goal especially could have been avoided. 9 of 12 goals scored were set pieces. Doesn't say much for our open play. Still, apparently that has set a new world cup record for the amount of set pieces scored so we've come away with something.

Deep down Gareth must have known we were weak in the middle of the park. Hence the emphasis on set plays. There are many ways to win a game after all. Ironically we had too much midfield talent ten years ago now we have none.

Caporegime
Our midfield was the weakest it's been in the 30 odd years i've been watching football, that being said we have a number of young players that given a couple more years could mean we'd go into the Euros much stronger.

Our youth teams have been winning competitions left, right and centre so compared to their peers at that age we're strong. The question is can they get the opportunities at club level to continue to progress? If they do, we could be dynamite in a few years.

U17 World champions, U20 World champions, U19 European champions.

Associate
So much negativity.

Remember, our revered 1990 team only actually won one game inside 90 minutes.

Played some half decent teams along the way though, Holland were Euro 88 Champions, Ireland arguably had their best ever side stacked with top Premier league (or then first division) players, Belgium had Enzo Scifo etc, Cameroon 1990 were one Africa's best ever sides, Egypt were the only 'poor' team England played even then they could defend.

But I get your point though, this team's done pretty well by comparison of most England teams in recent memory.

Soldato
There's a decent article on the BBC website giving us all some perspective:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44808192

All-in-all I think we can say that it was encouraging from England and something to build on, but the lack of creativity and threat from open play is worrying and we did get a very favourable run to the semi-final. I can't imagine that Germany, Spain, Argentina, etc will be as bad again in four years time.

Back
Top Bottom