Fighting high temperatures on my MSI Raider GE66

Associate
Hi folks!
I've bought MSI Raider GE66 with the following specs: I9-12900HK, 32 GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3080 Ti

My problem is the laptop CPU goes to 100 C almost immediately on heavy tasks by default. Ofc after that it throttles.
This is my first so powerful gaming laptop. I had ASUS Vivo book before where I could solve the problem simply using Throttlestop to lock the highest available frequencies, lock the highest freq for my GPU and disable hiper-threading. Yes, I have lower perf BUT I just can't put up with 100 C temperatures inside a laptop! For me, as for a desktop user it feels completely not acceptable! Moreover, I chose MSI laptop because I discovered that it has full BIOS (can be unlocked by a keys combination). It is important for me to be able to tweak my hardware as I want to!

Being afraid of possibility of war in Taiwan I also bought a reserve laptop from GIGABYTE. It is also pretty powerful: I7 12th gen, RTX 3070. And the most interesting thing here is that this Gigabyte laptop doesn't behave even close to this MSI laptop. I mean all the temperatures are fine. I do not even feel like I need to tweak anything.
And it makes me think that something may be terribly wrong with my MSI laptop or I just do not know what to do to fix the issue.
I tried to use Intel XTU, undervolt the CPU - no success. It still has insane temp.
I also tried to find something in BIOS but with no luck. Throttlestop refuses to work on the processor at all.
Right now, I ended up with disabling turbo-boost and hiper-threading on the MSI laptop. As a result, I have maximum 90 C when I run FurMark and CPU-Z stress test at the same time. Well, 90 C at max isn't 100 C but I have to use CPU that can't give me more than 2.5 GHz! And this is laptop for 3500 Euros!

Now, what exactly I want to ask you guys:
1) Is there a way to tweak CPU throttling from 100 C to let's say 85 C?
2) Why the hell GIGABYTE Laptop with very similar hardware doesn't have such problem at all?
3) Is there a way to enable wattage limit or voltage limit to lower the tempreature? How I can calculate the best wattage for my CPU? Maybe I can find some tables or other data that can help?

At the end, I'd like to have a CPU that can work above 2.5 GHz and do not heat more than 85 C on heavy load.
Any suggestions and articles that may help are very welcome!
Thank's in advance!

Interesting. I've got a Raider, a GE75. Spec wise, i9-10980HK, 32GB ram and a Nvidia 2080 Super. I was contemplating posting a similar thing really - something has happened in the last few weeks or months which appears to have slowed my system down during gaming. Otherwise the machine is in perfect condition, Win 11 Pro, plenty of HD space etc. Idle temps are about 82 degrees. It acts like it is throttling, that's the best way to describe it. I'm wondering if I need to strip it down and reseat the heatsink etc. But that's a bit daunting really. I keep it free of dust as much as possible (air duster) and look after it. The only thing that has changed is the installation of Win 11. Other than Nvidia drivers which constantly update, nothing else has changed.

One thing to add which I forgot to mention. I always run mine in silent mode. So yes, it gets hot. But like I said, this has never been an issue before. If I feel everything is heating up too much I simply blast the fans for a few minutes.
Hm, I've just noticed that my Windows 11 suggest me to install a new MSI firmware. I noticed your post and skipped the update. For now I have disabled hyperthreading and turbo boost and undervolted the CPU by -0.190 mV. The whole performance and temperatures are fine for me and for current tasks. You can check if you've recently updated MSI firmware on your laptop and try to reverse the update (if possible, I am not sure).

Back
Top Bottom