Fill flash

Man of Honour
I attempted to use fill flash today on a bright sunny day although things didn't go as expected.

Without flash, I was getting f/4 @1/1000 sec which was fine but i wanted to fill the shadows areas..

In aperture mode, why did the shutter speed slow down to 1/200 resulting in over exposed images? External flash TTL was on?

Has the shutter speed sync'd to the flash speed? Is that what has happened?

Thanks

Caporegime
I attempted to use fill flash today on a bright sunny day although things didn't go as expected.

Without flash, I was getting f/4 @1/1000 sec which was fine but i wanted to fill the shadows areas..

In aperture mode, why did the shutter speed slow down to 1/200 resulting in over exposed images? External flash TTL was on?

Has the shutter speed sync'd to the flash speed? Is that what has happened?

Thanks

Your camera's max flash sync will be 1/200. Without a camera and flash that support high speed sync you're not able to do fill flash in bright light without an ND filter or stopping right down.

http://strobist.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/using-nd-filters-to-kill-depth-of-field.html?m=1

Soldato
You need high speed sync.

It's basically the flash firing multiple times during the shutter open, and it will drain your battery much quicker.

Btw, always put in manual in flash model, to give yourself full control of the lights.
Was going to say something very similar, pretty much the only time I shoot manual is with a flash on the camera in ttl mode.

Associate
Canon G series also used to have leaf shutters, not sure if they do any more. As already said it comes down to what the fastest flash sync speed that your camera can do. The other option is to use ND filters in order to get shutter speed down to your flash sync speed maximum at a set aperture.

Back
Top Bottom