Filtered water taps - anyone have one?

Soldato
I drink a lot, and always find water filter jugs frustrating as they never refil fast enough for me and my family.

I've been thinking about getting a mains filtered tap of some description but I've no idea if they're worth the cost or not. Can anyone who has one share their opinions?

Soldato
You live in Liverpool doesn't your water come from the same place as mine in Manchester in which case what are you trying to filter out we have among the best tap water in the country.

Soldato
OP
You live in Liverpool doesn't your water come from the same place as mine in Manchester in which case what are you trying to filter out we have among the best tap water in the country.

I don't know, what I can say is I really don't like the taste of unfiltered tap water.

Soldato
We got the kind that is a compression-fit cannister, fitted directly to the water pipe just before the tap. Replace the thing every six months or so.
It works well enough, from my experience. The kettle takes much longer to scale up, which is quite something given that we're in one of the hardest water catchments.
However the wife, who grew up in a soft water area, still hates Reading water and uses an additional water jug, which just about makes it tolerable for her.

Soldato
I find tap water tastes fine for the first few drinks but after that it’s horrible. It’s horrible if it’s in the water bottle as well. So I get where you are coming from.

I’ve got a filter and a auto refillable jug in the fridge as well as a water despenser. It’s a complete game changer for me. Fill up the water bottle with the jug rather than the dispenser as it’s quicker.

Before that I had one of those massive brita water tanks but it took up so much room in the fridge but worked way better than the jugs as it was 8ltr tank. Swings and roundabouts. Could be an option if you have the room in the fridge for it.

I looked into filtering the water as it comes into the house but it mainly looks like tin foil hat stuff so that quickly got knocked on the head with the price.

Having said all that, if I was in your shoes I’d go down the route of getting a boiling water tap with chilled + sparkling water. Kill every bird with one stone. I’ve got a 3 in 1 tap but regret not going all out and getting the 5 in 1 tap.

Soldato
No, you just wouldn't need the calcium and magnesium filtering out, as that's what makes the water hard and causes limescale. The other stuff is likely to still be there.
Do they provide evidence with these filters.

IE my water is
Nickel 1.85 ug Ni/L
Copper <0.0229 mg Cu/L
Lead <0.0550 ug Pb/L
Chlorine <0.44 mg/L

Comparing to bottled water it's about the same if not better for tap water. So are people also filtering bottled water?

Last edited:
Associate
I'm looking into this as well. Is there any way to get water filter fitted so it cleans water for entire house.
We are moving down to South coast which has very hard water so would like to get it all filtered as will be installing new boiler and appliances.

Soldato
I've got a carbon filter on the incoming water supply, just after the internal stop tap.

Looking at the state of what gets caught by the filter, I'd never go back to not having one.

I use one of these.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do they provide evidence with these filters.
I have no idea. You'd have to do your own research and read up on them, I expect.
I know users of these filters claim it tastes better to them... That and the kettle not scaling up us usually all they care about.

IE my water is
Nickel 1.85 ug Ni/L
Copper <0.0229 mg Cu/L
Lead <0.0550 ug Pb/L
Chlorine <0.44 mg/L
Where are you getting this information?
Have you personally tested it right out of the tap, or is this something your local water company asserts as a general standard?

Comparing to bottled water it's about the same if not better for tap water. So are people also filtering bottled water?
Who knows.
People do strange things...

Associate
I have no idea. You'd have to do your own research and read up on them, I expect.
I know users of these filters claim it tastes better to them... That and the kettle not scaling up us usually all they care about.

Have you personally tested it right out of the tap, or is this something your local water company asserts as a general standard?

Who knows.
Go to your water providers website and you can get a water quality report for your area. If they withhold it via a simple postcode lookup they'll email you the reports. My area used to host the quality reports till a few contamination events , then the reports were only available on request.

Associate
I drink a lot, and always find water filter jugs frustrating as they never refil fast enough for me and my family.

I've been thinking about getting a mains filtered tap of some description but I've no idea if they're worth the cost or not. Can anyone who has one share their opinions?
You can get whole house systems for pretty good money. All taps would becoming drinking taps and your appliances would thank you for it too

Soldato

Who knows.
It's a legal requirement for water companies to test water.
I just put my postcode in and get all the results up, it's very comprehensive.

Back
Top Bottom