Final Fantasy 3 (6) on SNES

Associate
Hi All

This is my first time posting on a forum so hopefully I'm doing this correctly.

One Christmas, back in the day, I received Final Fantasy 3 (6) for my SNES. I very quickly realised that the game was something special. The story telling and presentation were like nothing I had seen before and at the time I had never played a turn based RPG which then had me hooked. After a day or two of playing glitches started to occur in the menus. This fast became such an issue that I couldn’t play it anymore. I ended up swapping it for another title (I can’t remember what exactly but it was a poor substitute). I should mention at this point that I owned a PAL SNES and I was playing an American import using a converter.

The pain of the loss was soothed on my birthday a few months later when Chrono Trigger came my way (again an NTSC import). My fear that this title would start to glitch through the new convertor I also received were unfounded and Chrono Trigger became (and possibly still is) my all-time favourite RPG beating Secret of Mana (which I received the Christmas prior to the Final Fantasy 6 Christmas, also an NTSC import).

It was a few years later that Final Fantasy 7 was released on the PlayStation. I have played and completed it a few times over the years and I still find it an incredible title (it doesn’t quite beat Chrono Trigger for me personally but it’s close).

Fast forward to present day and I found myself lamenting the missed experience of Final Fantasy 6. I decided to buy a copy in the hope that the slightly more modern convertor I had (which worked for Chrono Trigger, a later title) would be able to overcome the glitches. Alas it was not to be and in fact it started to glitch far sooner than I remembered all those years ago.

And so I come to my reason behind this post. I am hoping that someone here has had better luck than me and knows of a convertor and PAL game combination which will allow me to play Final Fantasy 6 from beginning to end on my PAL console without glitches?

I am aware that a version is due to be released on Steam shortly, which I don’t fancy, and I read an article which mentioned remasters are on the way but who knows how long that may take, and that’s assuming they will be any good. I am looking for the original experience.

Any guidance would be much appreciated and thanks for reading.

Associate
OP
Oh fingers crossed then. Thanks for the responses both.

I never could find anyone willing to play Secret of Mana with me. All my friends wouldn't play anything without guns or cars in.

I seem to recall that some PAL titles worked better in converters than others. I used to use my Scope PAL cart for most of my imports but for some reason it didn't work with Secret of Mana. I think I used Mario Kart for that instead.

Associate
OP
Okay. I’ll look to pick up a copy of Super Mario World then (a PAL copy as mine if the Famicom version) and hopefully that will work. I don’t suppose you found the converter you used too?

Associate
OP
I didn’t know Final Fantasy 6 was on the mini if I’m honest. That’s said a mini would have cost me about the same as a Final Fantasy cart and as I mentioned in my first post I was expecting it to work on the more modern (in SNES timelines anyway) converter that worked with Chrono Trigger, a later title.

Back
Top Bottom