Finally decided that i want a big bike.

Associate
OP
A couple taken today.

Excuse poor quality phone pics, will have to remember to take proper camera next time.

I suppose I should have taken a loaf of bread with me?

Soldato
A couple taken today.

Excuse poor quality phone pics, will have to remember to take proper camera next time.

I suppose I should have taken a loaf of bread with me?

VERYYYY nice mate, although the best R1 IMHO is still the 1999 in this colour (i.e. my mates lol). Just not a fan of all this pointedness all bikes have now, it's really hard to tell them apart sometimes... however, sweet ride man. So, what's she handle like? Getting a little more used to it?

Dave%27s%20R1.jpg

Associate
OP
Thanks, well I was looking forward to getting to know it a little better through the twisties this weekend but it's had some new rubber put on this morning so I'm going to take it a little easier for a good few miles yet especially as the roads are a little greasy with this patchy rain we've had today. :mad:
I'll be back out on it again in the morning to put some miles on the tyres and under mybelt whilst hoping to catch some dry weather and get more of an idea of what it's/I'm capable of.

Before I got on a bike, going fast in a straight line never really appealed to me anywhere near as much as handling through corners did, but it does go well in a straight line. :D

Associate
OP
Out of interest, what's the damage to the pocket insurance wise? (ball park will do) I ask cos when I passed in Feb. 2011, I was sold on having a zx6 or cbr600...however the quotes being well on the wrong side of £1000 put me off and I was 42 when I passed but have been driving since 17.

My best quotes were more towards 1k, which still seems quite high but seeing as it's my first big bike and I have a carp post code (M) then I can't complain.

Leuven where were those pictures taken mate? looks similar to a place I usually end up at :p

Near the M62 between Oldham and Huddersfield, there's usually an ice cream van in that parking area if the weather is nice.

Associate
Near the M62 between Oldham and Huddersfield, there's usually an ice cream van in that parking area if the weather is nice.

Yeah that is usually where I end up I usually do the run to Hollingworth lake then coming back I go through Milnrow and around then end up there then go onto Brighouse then cut through to Halifax.

Lovely spot though except for the crazy amount of wind on good days and the ice cream man puts the cans on the back window to cook in the sun I don't get it :/
imag0224ij.jpg

Sweet bike by the way :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah that is usually where I end up I usually do the run to Hollingworth lake then coming back I go through Milnrow and around then end up there then go onto Brighouse then cut through to Halifax.

Lovely spot though except for the crazy amount of wind on good days and the ice cream man puts the cans on the back window to cook in the sun I don't get it :/

Sweet bike by the way :)

That long straight is pretty good (if you turn to the right out of the car park) if a little bumpy. Theres no road marking on some of it as they must be ready for painting them on after resurfacing.

Never stopped there today but can't say I've tried one of those hot cold drinks from there before. :D

@the op, what year is your bike? and how are you feeling about the fuel consumption compared to a 125? nice machine though you wanna look after it

It's an 07 (4C8)
The fuel consumption isn't important as I would have kept the 125 and got 2 weeks of commuting for £10/11 to fill it. (Although I will miss it a bit)
It's still better than my car and I'm sure you know it's not what I or pretty much anyone would have bought an R1 for anyway. ;).
Today I went from Manchester>Northwich>Manchester>Huddersfield>Manchester on about 20 litres as the fuel light came on on the way out and I had to fill it up about 5 miles from home with the fuel light on for 17 miles before hand according to the fuel trip meter.
Even then it's only cost around £25 for a days worth of fun. (ignoring all other costs of course)

Back
Top Bottom