Finally the old i7 920 is being retired.... Quick spec check

Associate
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,568.87 (includes shipping: £14.10)​

The old workhorse is just getting to old bless it. So I was looking at this lot to replace it. OCUK will be building it as I CBA. All gaming really with the usual home PC use. I know intel are better at that but the core of this PC will be unchanged for at least 5 years. Only the GPU will ever be upgraded and maybe a soundcard if I don't like the mobo audio. Also, without getting into amd/intel flames I feel I need to support their resurgence.

I have always had a separate boot drive and want a large SSD for games. I have a 1440 60hz monitor which will be unchanged for several more years. The case seems high quality ,(and quiet obviously). also it has the buttons/ports on top. As the PC is under my desk that is handy. I have no interest in RGB at all. Extra fan for the front is maybe not needed? but meh 20 quid. The budget is around the £1600 mark,excluding build cost. Which is less than I paid for my current PC nearly 9 years ago. That 9 year lifespan is also why I have very likely over specced the mobo and the psu, worked last time... I won't be manual overclocking as it looks like it does a solid job on it's own. Is that cooler ok for that? Windows Will be bought elsewhere and I cannot remember the last time I used a cd/dvd drive.

I could wait until Friday to try and save a little I suppose. But I want that vega at that price with those games.

So, what have I missed and what have I done wrong? :)

Any advice appreciated.

Soldato
Associate
OP
Ok, put the nvme drive on instead and changed the case! So I will see no benefit at all for my usage ?and using PBO on the 2700x long term is fine with a b450 board? If that's the case what's the main difference between x470 and b450?

Permabanned
Ok, put the nvme drive on instead and changed the case! So I will see no benefit at all for my usage ?and using PBO on the 2700x long term is fine with a b450 board? If that's the case what's the main difference between x470 and b450?

B450 is fine but there is no Crossfire support with it. And you get less USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports possible, 10 vs 6.

Soldato
An NVMe SSD won't make a big difference over a SATA. Might boot up Windows 1 or 2 seconds quicker. For gaming they are pretty even.

Alternative Ryzen build in a Fractal R6 case. The non 'X' cpu saves £50. I would just stick Windows/Games on a single SSD. A 250GB is wasted if just for the O/S.

Total: £1,452.09 (includes shipping: £15.30)

Associate
OP
Total: £1,511.08 (includes shipping: £15.30)

Updated my order after looking at the advice you guys have given and checking the stuff out. Some want rather than need is in it,but hey you lot in here cannot say anything about that :p . Good shout with the mobo. I would rather overspec that and the psu for better quality. But after reading some stuff it actually seems like the better b450 boards are better designed and built than a lot of the bling x470. I found that strange. Thanks for the input, I have messaged OCUK about building and the mobo being on pre order.

Soldato
Total: £1,511.08 (includes shipping: £15.30)

Updated my order after looking at the advice you guys have given and checking the stuff out. Some want rather than need is in it,but hey you lot in here cannot say anything about that :p . Good shout with the mobo. I would rather overspec that and the psu for better quality. But after reading some stuff it actually seems like the better b450 boards are better designed and built than a lot of the bling x470. I found that strange. Thanks for the input, I have messaged OCUK about building and the mobo being on pre order.

If you are happy paying the extra £50 for the 'X' cpu then it looks ok. That board has pretty good VRM's from what I have seen (Buildzoid on Youtube) but apparently MSI bios isn't the greatest.

Also make sure you put a few games on the Nvme otherwise you are going to have 200GB or whatever is left over after W10 is installed just sat there doing nothing :)

Permabanned
If you are happy paying the extra £50 for the 'X' cpu then it looks ok. That board has pretty good VRM's from what I have seen (Buildzoid on Youtube) but apparently MSI bios isn't the greatest.

Also make sure you put a few games on the Nvme otherwise you are going to have 200GB or whatever is left over after W10 is installed just sat there doing nothing :)

The NVMe drive can be partitioned into two or three separate drive letters, C, D, etc, on its own.
Also, it depends on what additional programmes he would like to install on it.

Soldato
The NVMe drive can be partitioned into two or three separate drive letters, C, D, etc, on its own.
Also, it depends on what additional programmes he would like to install on it.

Of course you can partition it. That wasn't really my point though. I personally would prefer having a single SSD (1TB or so) for Windows/Games etc and a HDD for mass storage. Everyone has different requirements though.

Permabanned
Of course you can partition it. That wasn't really my point though. I personally would prefer having a single SSD (1TB or so) for Windows/Games etc and a HDD for mass storage. Everyone has different requirements though.

I always partition every hard disk that I have access to - the hard disks work better in this way. Actually, they like to stay more empty than full, and they will behave better from the defragmentation standpoint ;)

Back
Top Bottom