• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Finally upgrading my 2070 (non-super) and looking at a 4070 ti.

Associate
Based on what I use my PC for and my budget the 4070 ti seems like my best option.

Currently I have three monitors (I also dual use one for my work laptop too by switching input mode) so my only requirement is for the GPU to have at least three DisplayPort and one HDMI port/s.

My question is are there specific models/brands that are preferred/recommended or perform better than others? I haven't updated my GPU in years so I want to make sure I don't regret my purchase.

Last edited:
If like me you keep your card for a long time get a 7900xt. The 4070ti only has 12gb vram which with the way things are going might not serve you too long. Head to head in raster no RT the xt is faster and comes with 20gb Vram. What type of games do you play?

Yeah at this price point in the market I would either step up to the 7900XT or "down" to the 6950XT.

That said, that is if you want value.

Thanks all. I have G-Sync only monitors so Nvidia is a must for me really.

Recently started playing Starfield and understand that AMD cards work much better but I can't justify losing G-Sync for one game. I try to play most new releases but I'm gaming at 1440p and not overly fussed about maxing graphics out hence choosing the 4070 ti.

Is the 4070 the better option for me then?

Thanks all. I have G-Sync only monitors so Nvidia is a must for me really.

Recently started playing Starfield and understand that AMD cards work much better but I can't justify losing G-Sync for one game. I try to play most new releases but I'm gaming at 1440p and not overly fussed about maxing graphics out hence choosing the 4070 ti.

Is the 4070 the better option for me then?
Afaik the G-sync isn't a thing any more, any card works with any monitor. Unless there is some special case for the G-sync module monitors?

From what I have read it has to do with the age and specific model of the monitor. Mine are a few years old now and don't show as being compatible.
My monitor has a gsync sticker on it and my 7900XT works perfectly fine on it, the problem was always the other way around where NVIDIA cards refused to work on Freesync for marketing reasons

Yeah just double checked and sadly it will only work with Nvidia cards (G Sync module older monitor) so the AMD suggestions are a no go.

My budget points to a 4070 ti so just wanting to know if there are any particular models that need to be avoided or given a priority when buying?

Last edited:
My monitor has a gsync sticker on it and my 7900XT works perfectly fine on it, the problem was always the other way around where NVIDIA cards refused to work on Freesync for marketing reasons

Yea my G7 Odyssey has a G-Sync sticker on the front but also supports Freesync premium pro.. Think my monitor is around 3 years old now. It was only monitors that have a G-sync module that did not have Freesync. Maybe a second hand 3090/ti would be good if you can find one. If not the 4070 over the 4070ti as the ti cost way to much to put faith in the 12gb vram.

If only Nvidia would give there cards some decent Vram amounts it would not be so hard to recommend a card.

Last edited:
Yea my G7 Odyssey has a G-Sync sticker on the front but also supports Freesync premium pro.. Think my monitor is around 3 years old now. It was only monitors that have a G-sync module that did not have Freesync. Maybe a second hand 3090/ti would be good if you can find one. If not the 4070 over the 4070ti as the ti cost way to much to put faith in the 12gb vram.

If only Nvidia would give there cards some decent Vram amounts it would not be so hard to recommend a card.
Thank you for the advice. Since I only play at 1440p would the extra power from the ti not benefit me longer term anyway? I don't mind paying a bit extra if so as I don't upgrade often as you can tell from my 2070.

Or we could stop buying monitors that are vendor locked.

Thank you for the advice. Since I only play at 1440p would the extra power from the ti not benefit me longer term anyway? I don't mind paying a bit extra if so as I don't upgrade often as you can tell from my 2070.
4070 Ti is the worst card in a bad line up. Its hard to fathom how they tried to call it a 4080 12GB.

The issue is the 12GB of VRAM and how long before that causes you issues. The GPU could have enough power but once the VRAM is full your performance will tank.

Back
Top Bottom