Finally, we're getting FTTP, woo-hoo! (it was installed in June 2024)

Commissario
For a long time, whenever I've checked the BT FTTP page, it's always told me we'll never get FTTP here and there are no plans to provide it.

Today I looked and saw this.

*click to unblur*

9MVHmD8.jpeg

I don't know what to say, I really don't.

Any alt nets available?
I hope plusnet will be available as that’s who I’m with now.
I could actually get gigabit now from some dodgy firm who have put boxes on the telegraph poles but when I asked about cgnat he didn’t have a clue what I was talking about. A few minutes googling told me that yes, it would be cgnat and no options for a static IP. I declined.

I'm pretty sure Plusnet uses Openreach's network too so it'll be the same timeline as BT.
Yup, that's what I'm hoping.

What ISP is the dodgy firm? Some will offer static IP either on a higher tier package or business plans.
Lightspeed. I've just looked back in my emails and it was a year ago they knocked on my door and the guy didn't have a clue.

Back then, their website said:

"Can I have a static IP address?

Not quite yet but we are working on this. We'll provide more information as soon as we can."

It still says the same.

I just pulled into our road and there were three Openreach vans outside with them pulling cables through and up the nearest pole. I asked them if this was in prep for FTTP and they said yes, it should be available in about four months. All our phone cables are currently overhead and they said that the fibre will come in the same way. That makes sense, it saves them digging up the road.

Well that's an improvement on December 2026! :cry:
Aye, I said to them that's the date on the website, they laughed and said that's just a placeholder.

They also asked which was my house, I pointed it out and one of them said "Ahh yes, that's the one house we won't be able to supply". Obviously a line they've used many times before.

Oh we chuckled :D

Mine still has the December 2026 date and the maximum download speed has changed to 1800 Mpbs. The maximum upload has now dropped from 220 Mbps to 120 Mbps. I don't want more than 1 Gbps download but it would be nice to have the 220 Mbps upload that it originally said.

I was visiting my parents recently and checked their FTTP status which is identical to the info you have. I wonder if it’s a generic message as I know that fibre is being laid along the road only a few miles away and should be with them soon. I certainly hope it’s sooner than 2026
Well mine will definitely be before then - See the posts above.

Thanks, was actually just reading up on it and it doesn't seem ideal.
If you just 'use' the internet and don't host any services or things that people connect to, it's fine. In fact, it's beneficial for security because nobody's going to probe your ports but I need a static address that can be routed so it's no good for me.

Any idea if plusnet supply a router and modem for fttp?
I believe FTTP is presented via an ethernet port. My router (Draytek 2865) has both dsl and ethernet WAN ports so I just configure the ethernet port and plug it in.

Plusnet do supply a router, no idea what it is or how well it works and I don't really care because I won't be using it.

Bit of reading and I think the ONT
actually replaces/removes the need for the modem
Which would make life a bit easier

Yes, that's what I meant when I said it's presented as Ethernet, you just plug it in and don't need a modem.

I just saw a couple of Openreach vans outside and they're working at the pole.

vhSP4zF.jpeg

HaSYdtq.jpeg

Went out for a chat and they were very happy to talk and to be photographed, they went through everything they're doing and they estimate it'll be a couple of weeks until they're ready for ordering. They're on a big push in the area to get it rolled out as quickly as possible.

It was interesting speaking to the chaps doing the work up the pole. We talked about how the fibre gets to the house and they were very positive about it coming in overhead, saying they have many more problems with underground fibre than overhead, talking about cables getting damaged, the channel it's dug into getting crushed, etc. Reading other threads here and in other places, a common complaint does seem to be about poor underground install jobs.

Back
Top Bottom