Finally, we're getting FTTP, woo-hoo!

Soldato
You can select what you want it to show, I just picked Openreach FTTP.
So we only have FTTC here, when clicking on OpenReach FTTP it shows the grey circles below:
fc4ysFwnb2vN.png

The purple lines are GigaClear carrying out their work (I can't filter FTTC/FTTP for them).
I'm still not sure what they are actually installing :D

Soldato
Well it looks like my area has finally been upgraded to full fibre having checked the Openreach website and plusnet and bt they are all showing it's available now in my area even though when i checked a few months back it said coming in 2025/26. They have recently installed some new telephone post and been installing some black boxes on existing telephone posts which i guess are part of the full fibre install ?

Started with telewest 25 years ago which is now virgin off course and currently paying £57 for 500mb including phone line rental and my contract does not run out until feb 2025.

Worth contacting virgin and trying to get some more money off or my speed upgraded as Plustnet is currently doing 900mb for £40.

Is good to finally have another high speed option in my area.

Associate
Well it looks like my area has finally been upgraded to full fibre having checked the Openreach website and plusnet and bt they are all showing it's available now in my area even though when i checked a few months back it said coming in 2025/26. They have recently installed some new telephone post and been installing some black boxes on existing telephone posts which i guess are part of the full fibre install ?

Started with telewest 25 years ago which is now virgin off course and currently paying £57 for 500mb including phone line rental and my contract does not run out until feb 2025.

Worth contacting virgin and trying to get some more money off or my speed upgraded as Plustnet is currently doing 900mb for £40.

Is good to finally have another high speed option in my area.
Yes the black boxes at the top of the poles are the CBT (connectorised block terminal).

The boxes usually found around the middle of the poles will either be a splitter or a track joint, basically where one end of a fibre cable is jointed to another.

They will run a fibre drop cable from your house to the pole and it plugs into the CBT

Last edited:
Soldato
For a long time, whenever I've checked the BT FTTP page, it's always told me we'll never get FTTP here and there are no plans to provide it.

Today I looked and saw this.

*click to unblur*

9MVHmD8.jpeg

I don't know what to say, I really don't.

Welcome to the fast world!

G J

G J

Associate
@Feek I was getting worried as simillar to you I saw streets/houses on bidb.uk/ very close to us with live FTTP since January though our go live date was the end of Mar 24 then this changed to end of Jun 24 so after my previous post in this thread I thought they would forget about us.

Our area went live a few days ago so hopefully yours wont be long but now I'm unsure if we need to call Sky or they will get in touch with us.

On this page theres also a exchange/location build announcement downloadable PDF they used to update it every 3 or so months though it was last updated in Dec 23 as this gives a better idea than the end of Dec 26 people see on the FTTP checker.

Soldato
Yes the black boxes at the top of the poles are the CBT (connectorised block terminal).

The boxes usually found around the middle of the poles will either be a splitter or a track joint, basically where one end of a fibre cable is jointed to another.

They will run a fibre drop cable from your house to the pole and it plugs into the CBT

We had a CBT installed on our pole the back end of last year. Still no news on when it's all going to be hooked up though :(

Soldato
So Gigaclear have now finished installing their infrastructure so hopefully that's available to order sooner rather than later. It does now look like Virgin/O2 are in the area beginning work too so I guess they could potentially beat Gigaclear to being available sooner!

Caporegime
I think you can buy a static IP if you want to avoid CGNAT. CGNAT is a fact of life for recent entrants to the ISP market, there just aren't enough addresses left.

Man of Honour
Sorry for being completely oblivious, what's cgnat and what is the downside of them using it for me?
They share 1 public IP with multiple households, and it can cause issues in some cases with port forwarding, games etc. For most people it's a non-issue, but if you do anything beyond browse the web/email/Facebook etc it can be problematic.

Commissario
OP
Thanks, was actually just reading up on it and it doesn't seem ideal.
If you just 'use' the internet and don't host any services or things that people connect to, it's fine. In fact, it's beneficial for security because nobody's going to probe your ports but I need a static address that can be routed so it's no good for me.

Back
Top Bottom