To have lasted that long
The main danger to it is probably the council
They're digging up everything in sight
Between fixing the multitude of potholes
Burst water mains
And putting in services for the vast amount of new houses
That are replacing all the local farmers fields

Associate
Had my FTTP installed today by Gigaclear. When I moved into the house 2 years ago they were doing the surrounding areas then eventually enabled our road. Had to wait a while because their initial site visit somehow didn't discover that they would have to go over power cables so when the engineers turned up in March they couldnt do the installation, which was pretty annoying.

But fair play to Gigaclear, they escalated the issue before I even got a chance to complain, assigned me a case manager and called to explain what they were doing and how long it would take. Then as soon as my line was working he called me again to check everything had worked well, so they dealt with it really well.

The guys doing the installation were great and did a fairly complicated install, coming off the telegraph pole on the opposite side of the road, over the power cable to the roof, then going round the fascia of the roof, in the wall, up into the loft then routing the cable through the loft and down into an old airing cupboard. So far so good and I'm getting 392 down / 434 up on a 400Mbps package which is cheaper than my old broadband.

Commissario
OP
I walked over the road to get my ears lowered this morning and an Openreach van was parked up near by. On my way back, the chaps who had been working on the pole in my road were there and we had a chat. They finished all the work at the pole late on Friday evening and it's been light tested and confirmed good. They expect it to be commissioned in the next 'few weeks'. They also said that once it's commissioned, someone normally wanders around dropping leaflets in the houses shortly after but also said that as soon as it's live, they'll knock on my door to let me know.

They said again how there's a huge push to get it done so 'a few weeks' may even be just a few days.

Associate
The guys doing the installation were great and did a fairly complicated install, coming off the telegraph pole on the opposite side of the road, over the power cable to the roof, then going round the fascia of the roof, in the wall, up into the loft then routing the cable through the loft and down into an old airing cupboard.
That sounds very good of them, to route the incoming fibre through the attic and an airing cupboard certainly doesn't sound like a normal install. Usually they bring it in through an exterior wall, then anything internal is your responsibility. Great to see them going the extra mile for you!

Associate
Just renewed my Trooli connection today. Coming to the end of a 300/100 package that's been faultless but as they no longer offer that specific package they asked what I wanted to do going forward. Today is the last day of their 'spring sale' so I'm now on 900/300 for less than I was paying before :D

Really happy with the customer service (a sentence I'd never expect to say regarding a utility). Whole call lasted less than 3 minutes including hold time.

Soldato
Lightspeed. I've just looked back in my emails and it was a year ago they knocked on my door and the guy didn't have a clue.

Back then, their website said:

"Can I have a static IP address?

Not quite yet but we are working on this. We'll provide more information as soon as we can."

It still says the same.

Had an email today saying that they're now offering static IP addresses.

Hi Andrew

We're thrilled to announce some exciting news – Static IP addresses are now available! We've listened to your feedback and are delighted to offer this additional service to meet your needs.

Whether you require a Static IP for enhanced security, smoother remote access, or any other specific requirements, we've got you covered. With a Static IP, you'll have a stable, reliable connection tailored to your preferences.

If you're interested in upgrading to a Static IP address or have any questions about this service, please let me know as this is the perfect time to get signed up with lightspeed as you can currently get Lightspeed Gigafast broadband for just £29.99 per month a month for 24 months with free install

Can't find out a lot of info about Lightspeed. Trustpilot reviews are 4.4/5 which isn't horrific on the whole. Symmetric Gig is very tempting for the price.

Associate
Lightspeed is available on some of the houses on the new build estate I'm hoping to buy on.

On a house 6 doors away it's now saying "LightSpeed is not yet available at CO13 xxx but it's coming to your home soon!".
I hope it's there by the time we move in, otherwise I'll have to slum it with BT FTTP, the shortest contract I've found is 18 months with Zen.

Associate
Lightspeed is available on some of the houses on the new build estate I'm hoping to buy on.

On a house 6 doors away it's now saying "LightSpeed is not yet available at CO13 xxx but it's coming to your home soon!".
I hope it's there by the time we move in, otherwise I'll have to slum it with BT FTTP, the shortest contract I've found is 18 months with Zen.
I was on Giganet FTTP (Openreach) on a rolling 1-month contract, if that helps

Commissario
OP

That's really interesting. Lightspeed is the one that appeared near me last year and who I expressed brief interest in until I discovered that they're CGNAT, although as @andy_mk3 mentioned, they're now starting to offer static IPs.

I only re-signed earlier this year with Plusnet so it would be tricky to move to Lightspeed but frankly, I'm happy with the service I've had from Plusnet so I will stick with them.

Soldato
That's really interesting. Lightspeed is the one that appeared near me last year and who I expressed brief interest in until I discovered that they're CGNAT, although as @andy_mk3 mentioned, they're now starting to offer static IPs.

I only re-signed earlier this year with Plusnet so it would be tricky to move to Lightspeed but frankly, I'm happy with the service I've had from Plusnet so I will stick with them.
You're happy with plusnet anyway
Though might be useful
Think I read somewhere recently they may offer a free out from
Their service because they aren't able to offer voip
Though as usual my memory is terrible
Don't remember exact details
Or where I read it
So I could be wrong

Soldato
I only re-signed earlier this year with Plusnet

was about to but,
Their service because they aren't able to offer voip
yes, absence of voip on plusnet - you mean replacement for landline ? - a 2nd line on top of mobile

Seems Sky have that, just 18month lock in, cashback, so £22 versus plusnet £25 ,
time for a change I think ? or a nightmare in the offing
maybe I'll ring plusnet to see if they would give a counter offer.

53693747598_c6e972b32b_c_d.jpg

I guess sky rely on people just letting contract run at 18months

Commissario
OP
I don't care about voip, dumping the landline was something we did as part of re-signing with Plusnet a couple of months ago. I was with Sky before I moved to Plusnet and really didn't like the way they tried to force you to use their own router. I'd been with them for years so had been able to extract my login details from the very old box they provided but I got a much better deal (and a static IP) with Plusnet.

Back
Top Bottom