finance books / podcasts

Soldato
ive just watched a podcast on youtube and before i go spending time on reading any books or watching any more podcasts on finance, is there anything in these books that you cant simply learn by just browisng forums or youtube. anybody who writes a book will want to make money so are going to big it up regardless of weather its correct information or not! the podcast i just watched was called

No. 1 Finance Author: Do This To Become A Millionaire On A £25,000 Salary​

im have been saving for years, but nothing was in anything other than a couple of standard bank accounts / saving accounts. only started my pension 2 years ago which im very angry about as i missed all that free money from work. i have quite abit of free time so if there is anything i can legit learn from podcasts or books im interested but i dont want to go spending a lot of time on something thats just filled with a load of incorrect information

only started my pension 2 years ago which im very angry about as i missed all that free money from work. i have quite abit of free time so if there is anything i can legit learn from podcasts or books im interested but i dont want to go spending a lot of time on something thats just filled with a load of incorrect information

How did that happen - you're legally supposed to be auto-enrolled in a pension scheme, you have to actively unenroll.

I'm not sure you're going to get much from the books or youtube channels with hyped up titles, I think the UKPersonalFinance thing above is probably useful and stuff like the Motley Fool book or Financial Times guide to investing.

The tl;dr equity investments ought to basically be regular contributions into a tracker fund. If you are going to invest in individual equities find a cheap broker and just stick with large companies. As you get older you want more and more of your portfolio in fixed-income securities rather than equities.

Don't get into small-cap stocks or crypto or at least if you do only do so with a small portion of your portfolio that you're comfortable with potentially losing.

If you desperately want to become a millionaire then the way to do it will be by focusing on how to get paid more in your career or starting your own business, i.e. focusing on your own ability to generate money.

All the investment stuff is interesting but won't make you rich that quickly. There is good stuff out there, but it takes a lot of sifting. The internet and YouTube has all the info, but it takes more finding, the good books can be entertaining and a more concentrated source of advice.

Really, you have to take a lot in so that you get your own sense of what's worth it and what's not. That takes years, but if you enjoy it then it's all good.

its abit of both, i want to make sure im making decent choices now so when i retire i dont die from cold come the first winter.

as for only starting my pension 2 years ago, i opted out when it was first set up, me been a retard didnt think about it and decided at the time id rather have that money there and then and save it my self, so i suppose i do still have the money, i just dont have the other half from my employer...

as for only starting my pension 2 years ago, i opted out when it was first set up, me been a retard didnt think about it and decided at the time id rather have that money there and then and save it my self, so i suppose i do still have the money, i just dont have the other half from my employer...

What is your housing situation? These days there might be an argument for reducing payments into a pension to save for a house deposit.

What else do you want to know about, in particular?

Back
Top Bottom