Fine for no MOT?

Soldato
My Google-Fu only seems to turn up the obvious answers to this question - riding without one, other than to an MOT appointment, is a no no.

My situation though - BMW still have my bike in for repairs from my accident on the 10th of September, and the MOT expired at the beginning of this month; I asked them to put another 12 months on it, but I presume the bike is still in bits, as I still show as expired on the DVLA site.

I have road tax, so think I'm ok - but can I get issued any sort of fine for not having a valid MOT on the bike? I would call and ask the delightful DVLA, but don't fancy sitting on hold for half the day :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
As long as it's not being left on the road or being ridden then it'll be fine.
Based on I've just checked my MOT online while the bike is SORN in my back garden and the site says "You can be fined up to £1000 for driving without a valid MOT.", rather than "You can be fined for not having an MOT".

The tax is the bit that matters or should I say the bit they'll come after you for even if it's not on the road unless declared SORN.

Soldato
OP
As long as it's not being left on the road or being ridden then it'll be fine.
Based on I've just checked my MOT online while the bike is SORN in my back garden and the site says "You can be fined up to £1000 for driving without a valid MOT.", rather than "You can be fined for not having an MOT".

The tax is the bit that matters or should I say the bit they'll come after you for even if it's not on the road unless declared SORN.
Nice one, thanks very much :)

Back
Top Bottom