Firewalls for windows xp

NE5

NE5

Associate
Ive bought a used windows xp laptop to play old games. Im not going to.use it for anyting else...but as i might be downloading the odd patch or emulator...does windows xp need a firewall as well as my avast and malwarebytes that i will put on it anyway ?

Associate
if memory serves me correctly, SP2 and onwards for windows XP came with a built in firewall, so I'd just turn that on. As for the rest i wouldn't bother, XP is so exploitable that the best prevention is to keep it disconnected form the internet when you don't need it.

Soldato
I'm assuming you're using XP which is already pre-installed? I'd definitely wipe that off and clean install XP if that's the OS you want to use.

After installing XP, the very first thing you should do is install SP3 (Service Pack 3). You will almost certainly need to download and install the latest Windows Update Agent before Windows Update will run. Install all the updates you need, then apply the EPOS registry tweak and run Windows Update again for the latest of the XP updates.

I really wouldn't bother bogging down the system with a firewall, antivirus or malware scanners. If you're sensible you'll be fine.

NE5

NE5

Associate
OP
if memory serves me correctly, SP2 and onwards for windows XP came with a built in firewall, so I'd just turn that on. As for the rest i wouldn't bother, XP is so exploitable that the best prevention is to keep it disconnected form the internet when you don't need it.

How do I disconnect it ?

NE5

NE5

Associate
OP
I'm assuming you're using XP which is already pre-installed? I'd definitely wipe that off and clean install XP if that's the OS you want to use.

After installing XP, the very first thing you should do is install SP3 (Service Pack 3). You will almost certainly need to download and install the latest Windows Update Agent before Windows Update will run. Install all the updates you need, then apply the EPOS registry tweak and run Windows Update again for the latest of the XP updates.

I really wouldn't bother bogging down the system with a firewall, antivirus or malware scanners. If you're sensible you'll be fine.

why would you wipe it if it is pre-installed ?

Soldato
is this a LAN ?
I'm assuming the laptop will be connected to the internet by some form of network connection, either wired or wireless. If this is the case, you can disable the adapter from within Device Manager.

Or Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections > Right click and Disable your active connection.

NE5

NE5

Associate
OP
I'm assuming the laptop will be connected to the internet by some form of network connection, either wired or wireless. If this is the case, you can disable the adapter from within Device Manager.

Or Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections > Right click and Disable your active connection.

thank you I'll do that. I was thinking I could just download any patch or emulator I needed straight onto it providing I took those basic precautions but I'll use a flash drive to transfer them to it if necessary and disconnect it altogether when I switch it on.

NE5

NE5

Associate
OP
thank you I'll do that. I was thinking I could just download any patch or emulator I needed straight onto it providing I took those basic precautions but I'll use a flash drive to transfer them to it if necessary and disconnect it altogether when I switch it on.

and I'm using the wifi to connect the laptop to my BT modem.

Back
Top Bottom