First 125cc Recommendations

Soldato
Hi Guys,

Been looking at bikes for a while, and looking to do my CBT very soon (can pretty much book most days at a local place whenever I need). I had pretty much decided on a Honda Grom/MSX125 purely because of the interest/fun factor, and could keep it when I do finally 'upgrade' to the bigger bike. Since then looking at insurance quotes they are hideously high in my area.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I've had a few quotes on the Varadero's, CBF/CBR's, MT-125's etc and they are all pretty high. Although not recommended, I have no issue spending £2-3k on the bike if needed. Most of the quotes I'm getting are ~£700-900 a year, and MCE offer them at £350-400 but with a ridiculous excess of £950-1100+. I know it's going to be high for the first year, but would rather a good bike for that sort of price range!

I'm 28, and live in South London but don't have a car license so this probably makes it a bit more expensive too.

I do like the look of the YBR Custom's, and at the moment this is my first choice due to the overall costs of the others.

Any help/recommendations appreciated!

Associate
I've recently got myself a Honda CB125r and love it. Doesn't exactly go quick but gets up to 50 without an issue and happily sits at 60-70. Might struggle to get one for 3k though as there pretty new.
But it looks good or at least I think so, goes well, handles well ABS as standard, nice digital dash and I'm currently managing 117.3 mph.
I've pics in my CBT thread and the what have you done to your bike thread.

Soldato
Since then looking at insurance quotes they are hideously high in my area.

and live in South London

Get used to high insurance if you live anywhere in London. Bike theft capital of the UK. If you get a nice 125, unless it's locked in a garage, out of sight, with an almax chain and a couple of guard dogs it'll a case of when, not if it'll be stolen.

Soldato
OP
I've been going a bit back and forth between wanting something kind of new, but also not liking the insurance prices. Of the 'new' the YBR Custom's are the best prices insurance wise, and I can get a 2016 one 5-10 minutes away with 50 miles on it for under £2k.

On the other end... there's a 1996 Suzuki GN125, that is quite a bit under £1k, and insurance is also very cheap... would just need to buy a new exhaust (bit of rush on the steel bit). Other 'older' bikes I'm considering are the Honda CG125's and Varadero's (can get a few near me for not too bad pricing).

Thoughts?

Permabanned
Out of interest what kind of insurance prices are you seeing from something fairly new and the older bikes?

In a similar situation myself although I'm looking for my second 125. Had a CB125F first time round which I loved and think I'll happily have the same again. Wouldn't mind saving the money either though.

I don't know much about the CG125's but I know the Varadero's are well regarded and seem to keep their value well if wanting to sell in the future.

Soldato
OP
I'm getting £750'ish with ~£800-950 excess on some of the newer bikes. The YBR Custom (the Naked version is more expensive) I can insure for ~£550 with £350 excess.

The GN125 for example I can insure for ~£300 with £100-150 excess fully Comp but for a bike at that price i'd probably go Third Party/Theft. Which is why it's a tempting bike. Plus I can always keep it after and turn it into a cafe racer or something too.

Back
Top Bottom