First attempt at overclocking

Associate
OP
cool I might give that a quick look now but prolly have a fiddle 2moz. Yeah the airflow is pretty good. Its in a Coolermaster HAF932 advanced and all the calbes are routed behind the motherboard. Cheers for the help tonight, I'll write what I manage to achieve 2moz.

Associate
No worries, learning how to reset your motherboard via the CMOS battery and or any jumper switches might come in helpful when your overclocking so your prepared for any issues where your system wont POST or the load BIOS.

Associate
OP
Right.. After much fiddling, and reading, I read some instructions to first find the most stable bclk before trying to get the max overclock. To do this I lowered the cpu multiplier to 12x and slowly increased the blck from 133Mhz in 10 Mhz intervals till I achieved 200Mhz which was stable under a 1 hour torture test in prime.

Having done this, I reduced the bclk to 140Mhz and set the cpu multiplier to maximum of 21x. From there I slowly increaded the bclk in 10Mhz intervals to testing with prime each time for 10 mins if stable. If it was stable I increased the blck again.

I got mine stable for 10 mins up to 190Mhz blck but 200Mhz failed on one of the clocks in prime almost straight away.
I reduced the blck back to 190Mhz and ran prime for half hour fine. I left it running and went to bed. When I woke up, windows had crashed. I wasn't sure if this was a standard windows crash or due to the overclock. I increased the cpu voltage by one increment and ran prime again, but one of the cores stopped working after 48 mins.

I'm just about to increase the cpu voltage another increment. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Associate
OP
I had it running the torture test for about 40 mins and then the computer BSOD. When the pc restarted all the bios settings had returned standard and the overclock was lost.

I reinput the values but lowered the cpu multiplier to 20x instead of 21x. Its not 10 mins into torture test in prime.

Anyone got any idea why I got the BSOD, I think it said something about memory dump but can't remember 100%.

Associate
To me it would seem that if one core stopped processing instructions then you're pushing way way too hard and close to the 'breaking it' limit although I suppose it could have been caused by a lack of VCore.

I'd be finding out your CPU's & RAM's max safe operating temps & VCore and be making sure you've got it set well below those limits before touching any voltages and subsequently killing your chips.

There may be many options in your BIOS that will enable you to achieve greater stability at higher clocks without introducing 'more power' to the system.

Back
Top Bottom