First Build Advice

Associate
Hi,
I'm looking to build a PC to move away from console for gaming (mostly single play and RPGs) and for CAD/Modelling (Fusion 360, Hexagon Vero, Blender), I am building it to last a few years but be upgrade-able as needed.
List:
Case: Corsair 750D Obsidian (3 x 140mms inc)
Motherboard: ASUS STRIX Z390-F
CPU: Intel I9 9900k
GPU: EVGA Nvidia 2070 Super 1x (will be 2x in time with NV link)
RAM:4 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance
PSU:1000W Corsair HW1000i
1x 500GB NVME SSD Kingston
4TB Toshiba X300 HDD
Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler.

Peripherals I'll sort in time - eyeing up 2 24" MSIs and razor for mouse and keyboard.

This is a first build for me so forgive for any errors in the list, done research as best I can.
Any advice will be muchly appreciated, if better motherboard available, or I can fit 2 NVMEs etc etc, I am Flexible-ish on budget but not willing to go nuts with the wallet.
I have a friend who will do the build and the like but I wanted to see how far I can do on my own as enjoying looking into it and wished I made the jump sooner.
Many Thanks

Soldato
If you're also going to be CAD/Modelling if you get a 3900 Ryzen you would have far more power on your CAD/Modelling, what res monitor will you be using? I think there is about a 5% difference with 9900 over Ryzen on frames.

Also I would get at least a 1GB SSD.

:)

Associate
OP
Thanks, I was looking at getting a SSD to add in as well as it has 2 slots for them in the tower at least.
Fair enough, I was looking at the AMD line as my friend said to go that way more as AMD are putting intel to shame in the current era but that's a different topic entirely.

Soldato
What's the budget?

As above I'd probably go for a Ryzen 3900X, 32GB RAM, 1TB NVMe drive combo... the extra cores/threads with a 3900X help you significantly for the software you use.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys muchly appreciated, making the swap in the basket.
Also meant to say, I'd be happy with anything over 1080 if I'm honest but ideally 1440 if possible.

Associate
OP
Oh and is going is 2070s and NV link worth it, ie buy and fit 1 now and then later in the year or next year buy another and use NV link (instead of SLI) or am I better off upgrading to the newer model when needed, heard Nvidia 30 series on way eventually?

Soldato
Can you post your basket up? When you view your basket, there is a 'BBCode' button below it, press that - then copy/paste the code here.

Probably better off upgrading GPU than SLI these days, the performance doesn't scale as much as you'd expect it too.

Soldato
Yeah there's a lot of junk in that, you could get so much more and spend a lot less money, seriously.

The motherboard is Intel so you can't just swap to the AMD CPU, it won't fit or work! :p You need a different motherboard with an AM4 socket.

Do you need the huge case and 5.25" drive bay? If you need a card reader it'd be tidier to use an external USB one. PSU is also massively overkill.

Here's my suggestion for a build... 3900X cpu, X570 mb with onboard WiFi 6 AX, case has great airflow, awesome AIO water cooler for CPU. You can also save £100 by getting your Windows key on that popular auction site for about £5 too. :)

Edit: Also if this rig is for both gaming/3d work and you also mention buying 2x new monitors... I'd go for something that would do both well - like the LG 27GL850-B (obv just one of them, if you want another monitor for browsing etc get something else cheaper). The LG has 1440p, G-Sync, 144Hz, IPS panel - all the bells & whistles you'd want to game with, plus also being a quality IPS panel should be nice to render/model work on too.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,871.83 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom