First Build OMG Temps!?!

Associate
Hi, please bear with me as i just built my first PC, spec is:

Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 (used Arctic Silver 5) + stock fan as Scythe would not fit my mobo :(
Gigabyte DS4
HIS ATI Radeon X1900 XT ICEQ 3 SILENT Heatpipe 512MB
Lian Li s80
3 x 120mm dustproof fans + 1 x 80mm dustrproof.

Nothing is overclocked.

I just checked my temps at BIOS and they are showing 52C idle :eek:

I ran speedfan and it is showing Temp 1 at 52C.

I ran Coretemp and it is showing both cores at 52C.

I guess I should be worried? If so, please give me some ideas about what to do.

Man of Honour
Pop imto the case forum and ask Yewen if he had any temp issues with the S80.

Are the case cans blowing correctly? e.g not All extracting for example?

Associate
OP
will try reseating the cooler tomorrow but i was sure it made a firm contact, checking with yewen but i don't think he had problems

Associate
OP
fan definately spinning so will try the reseat

my hdd temps are rising to 43C at the moment too according to speedfan, i don't know why everthing is so hot at idle, the fans are all pointing the correct way

how high can the e6600 temp get before it is dangerous?

also, if temp1 in speedfan = cpu, what is temp2? (temp3 is showing as -2 lol)

Soldato
temp 2 will most likely be the chipset and temp3 will be an unused sensor location. Harddrives at 43 do suggest that there is a slight problem with how you have the case set up. You might want to try all options of how you have the case fans set up. ie, try having the intake at the back and the exhaust at the front etc to see what temps you get then. What speed do you have the fans at?

Associate
OP
they are just running off the psu molex so i assume full speed? (excuse my ignorance here)

yewen posted in the case forum that he has 2 intakes at front and an exhaust at back - this is how the case is supposed to be because of the ducting at the back so thats what i've done ... i'm perplexed :confused:

going to power off now, this thing is getting too hot and i dont want o burn the house down, back tomorrow

Caporegime
Remember to clean the crap off the heatsink and CPU (AS5 and Normal stuff if you didn't remove it in the firstplace).

To remove it, use Isopropyl Alcohol and Cotton Buds, use about 10-20, don't be shy. Then put the AS5 on the CPU*.

*Some people put the 'grain of rice' on the CPU then seat Heatsink, some spread it out and seat the heatsink. I got better results from spreading it out first (use a razor-blade).

Make sure you have some good case fans. I use 1x 120mm Silenx Ixtrema fan in and 1x 120mm Silenx Ixtrema fan exhaust. This and cleaning up the motherboard (taking all the heatsinks off, removing the cheap gunk and replacing with AS5) and the heatsink reduced my temperatures upto 20 degrees (with my CPU overclocked from 2.4ghz to 3.0ghz).

Associate
OP
Guys, firstly apologies ... I had my rear fan acting as an intake rather than an exhaust ... sorry for this rather amateurish mistake!

Now idling at 43C with stock speeds and stock fan. Do you think this still warrants a reseat of the cpu hsf? I'm willing to give it a go but the only thing that worries me is that I think one of the seating holes on the mobo round the cpu might be a bit of a dud.

Man of Honour
DCat said:
Guys, firstly apologies ... I had my rear fan acting as an intake rather than an exhaust ... sorry for this rather amateurish mistake!

Now idling at 43C with stock speeds and stock fan. Do you think this still warrants a reseat of the cpu hsf? I'm willing to give it a go but the only thing that worries me is that I think one of the seating holes on the mobo round the cpu might be a bit of a dud.

Hades said:
Are the case cans blowing correctly? e.g not All extracting for example?

:D
Glad you got it sorted.

Associate
OP
Yep, you were right Hades, there's no substitute for experience eh? Is 43C idle acceptable at stock fans/speeds in your opinion?

edit: speedfan is showing 44C, coretemp is showing 56C - which should I trust?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom