First Car making odd sound at speed Wheel misalignment or wheel bearing ?

Soldato
OP
It's not that hard just make sure you 100% know how to use jack stands if going under the car.

little at a time, tbh the first week for driving alone was super rough TBH which shook me.

Just trying to work out which bolt I need, I know its bolt used for the DPF mounting, any idea the best palce to find out the size of it ?

Soldato
Does the sound change depending on whether you are steering left or right? Typically a bad wheel bearing will get nosier with more load on it i.e. taking a left hand bend will load up the right hand wheels.

Soldato
OP
Does the sound change depending on whether you are steering left or right? Typically a bad wheel bearing will get nosier with more load on it i.e. taking a left hand bend will load up the right hand wheels.

Hi not that I've noticed it any worse or better in a particular direction just the sound becomes noticeable at/after 30mph+, I don't much good bit of flat road for me to try this safely at speed. If I have a chance ill take it to the local P&R when everyone gone home over the weekend

Associate
I recently had a similar problem that I thought was a wheel bearing, turns out the tyre had a bump on it where it must have been damaged on a pothole or something. It made a rumbling noise that was only really noticeable at speed and the faster I went the louder it got.

Soldato
OP
I recently had a similar problem that I thought was a wheel bearing, turns out the tyre had a bump on it where it must have been damaged on a pothole or something. It made a rumbling noise that was only really noticeable at speed and the faster I went the louder it got.

how did you find out ?

Soldato
OP
Haven't you already confirmed

Odd in what way?

No I've not, its going in tomorrow

Odd that everyone I've shown the video to says its a wheel bearing but it doesn't get worse turning the wheel in a particular direction only speed it seems.

I don't know much about cars and don't have any experience to fall back on so I don't know anything for sure.

Soldato
OP
If you've jacked the car up and spun the wheel a dodgy wheel bearing will be fairly obvious.

It'll be equally noisy in both directions.

I was going to but since its going In tomorrow I didn't bother as i've never jacked up a car before.

From my research it tends to be worse in a single direction if a single bearing is on its way out.

Soldato
OP
What was result?

Had it in yesterday, it was the front right Wheelbearing , I got them to do a oil and oil filter change and replace some missing bolts holding the shield for the DPF which was leading to racket.

£224 in total.

Rest of the car is solid they said so I should be good for a little while. This was a garage next door to my work which was recommend by colleagues, neighbours and my local town Facebook group.

First time 3-4 weeks I've had the car I can here the turbo woosh lol, sounds like a different car now.

Back
Top Bottom