First Custom Loop with a 3080FE

Associate
OP
Thanks for you reply Hewligan, I was using a different image host so I wasn`t aware that it hadn`t up loaded.

Here is the PCB with the single memory chip above the GPU chip

9fi9nCZ.jpg

Here is the EK thermal pad placing, note the areas circled where there doesn`t seem to be anything but the soldered pins on the PCB

MEvvsMS.jpg

I`ll have a look at some other manufacturers guides and see how they compare, any input will be appreciated.

Associate
Looks like you can stick pads on those areas suggested even though there are no components. Alphacool also suggests the longer of at the top despite only a single memory chip. Corsair install video also shows a longer pad in that area (pre installed).

Perhaps there is some heat bleed in that area. Sorry I can’t help more but I have a reference design PCB.

Associate
OP

Thats the video I was watching last night but he has three chips at the top which is where I was getting concerned (it is also supposed to be a 3080 FE, maybe it`s a 3090)

The Alphacool manual differs from the EK one but seems better written and is clearer, I`ll do a bit more digging today when I have time, thanks for your input.

Associate
It is ludicrous how bad some of these manuals are for what can be very tricky installations.

I own 3 Aqua Computer products and trying to buy a fourth when stock is available, and they are terrible for guidance. One item (reservoir) came with two different brackets and many weird screws and not a single instruction. I went to YouTube and found a video of a guy doing the same confused face as me, staring at the stuff in the box and wondering what he was meant to do with it all. How hard would it be to create a good manual with clear visuals?

Associate
Oh, and EK have very good and very active forums (seems like it is not hosted by them, but I recall reading an EK forum recently). I would highly recommend posting a quick question and your photo there and I bet you get a direct response either from EK or from a user with the same WB.

Associate
OP
It is ludicrous how bad some of these manuals are for what can be very tricky installations.

I own 3 Aqua Computer products and trying to buy a fourth when stock is available, and they are terrible for guidance. One item (reservoir) came with two different brackets and many weird screws and not a single instruction. I went to YouTube and found a video of a guy doing the same confused face as me, staring at the stuff in the box and wondering what he was meant to do with it all. How hard would it be to create a good manual with clear visuals?

Yeah they`re not great for the work involved, my EK mono block is the same, I saw a guy on you tube confused on the exact fitment as the guide isn`t clear.

Oh, and EK have very good and very active forums (seems like it is not hosted by them, but I recall reading an EK forum recently). I would highly recommend posting a quick question and your photo there and I bet you get a direct response either from EK or from a user with the same WB.

Thanks for that, I have a busy day ahead so it`ll have to be this evening now but it`s food for thought.

It was all a bit rushed posting this last night and it didn`t help with the image not showing but I was able to edit the images this morning before everyone started coming in to work and managed to show the differences.

I wonder if EK have been lazy and produced just one guide that covers the 3090FE and 3080FE? It might explain the differences.

Associate
OP
Do you have a link, my Googling is bringing up everything but what I`m searching for, TIA

Associate
OP
So not getting any feedback on the thermal pad placement I went ahead and did it as per the EK installation guide and then stripped down the case and removed the motherboard. I have now installed my monoblock which needed a plastic locating tab to be removed from the plastic shroud which needed a whole heap of screws removing plus the I/O shield removing for access.

I have now found that there aren`t any mounting holes for the PCI riser where I want it and as I have based my pipe routing around this I`ve had to order a box of assorted M3 screws, standoffs and nuts so I can mount it in the nearest vertical slot, these should arrive tomorrow so I should be able to make some more progress. I flushed the rads out last night and mounted the 360mm rad at the top but thats about it until I get the box of assorted screws.

jyDt0uK.jpg

Associate
OP
53x4qVL.jpg All plumbed in, fill and leak test tonight :)

53x4qVL

Associate
OP
Last night I filled with de-ionised water and ran the pump for two and a half hours and there were no leaks.
btgP65F.jpg

Time to drain it, more difficult than imagined but the EK drain port is nice and tidy and looks better than the ball valves.

bXxR1PB.jpg

Then fill with EK`s Cryo Fuel, I went with neon green but looking at it I think acid green would have been better.

gjo0s5N.jpg

Tonight`s task is to connect everything back up, put the PSU back in and then see how the temps are :) Hopefully everything will be fine and I can get back to some gaming.

Associate
OP
All up and running now, GPU temps in Heaven were 45 degrees but the CPU temps were a little high at 7o degrees with idle being around 39 degrees. Coolant was sitting at 29 degrees on idle.
I`ll see how it settles over the next week but I might need to repaste the CPU cooler.

OC8b0Pn.jpg

Back
Top Bottom