First eBay issue. Ever.

Soldato
Never had a problem with eBay. However today was the day I join the ranks of others on here who've had issues.

Breakdown;

I won an exhaust on eBay for 99p starting bid. Ask seller when I can come to collect and address. Cash on collection. I was willing to give him a little extra just to be nice.

Seller responds £400 full exhaust.

I state I won the auction at 99p.

He responds saying he paid xxx amount and could get more at scrap value.

So I sent a reply saying he should have put a reserve on it. I would like the exhaust as I've been on the search for one for a while. This is obviously cheap as chips but I don't think the seller will sell it to me.

Where do I go from here?

Caporegime
Then why not put a reserve on the auction? Or start the auction from a price he wanted for it, or as close to?

he's probably not very tech savvy, maybe he will in future - he's not really scamming you per say but I guess he has wasted your time a bit

Associate
I do not think you had any binding contract when it comes to the seller no longer wanting to sell the item to you.

From the ebay help

Seller no longer wants to sell or post the item
If you haven't paid for the item, you can cancel the order.

If you paid for the item, the seller must refund the full amount within 10 business days. If you don't receive the refund on time, report it to us so we can help you resolve the issue.

Says nothing about the seller having to sell you the item.

Associate
Its the same as if the item was in a shop the shop does not have to sell you any item that has the wrong price on it.

Your legal rights in a shop will depend on whether you’ve paid for the item yet or not.

If you haven’t bought it yet
If you take an item to the till and are told the price on the tag or label is a mistake, you don’t have a right to buy the item at the lower price. You could still try asking the seller to honour the price.

It’s the same if you see an item advertised anywhere for a lower price than the one on the price tag.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...f-something-is-advertised-at-the-wrong-price/

Man of Honour
Its the same as if the item was in a shop the shop does not have to sell you any item that has the wrong price on it.

Yeah AFAIK with legislation in regard to contracts in this way, unless explicit terms are agreed to otherwise, realistically all the seller is liable to do at this point is put the buyer back in the position they were in when they entered into the contract - which generally is refunding any and all monies if applicable and in limited cases might make the seller liable of things like fuel costs if a meet was arranged and then the seller pulled out, etc. (and it most likely wouldn't be worth trying to pursue those angles unless it was an actual business versus private seller).

Had a funny one years back on ebay where I was trying to get a 2nd of a fairly rare monitor for a matched setup - like OP no reserve and won fairly low - not ridiculously low but when the seller grumbled, as I really wanted that monitor anyhow, I offered what was a reasonable price and they practically laughed in my face and tried to ask for twice as much and then relisted it at a far higher price which it never sold, then they came grovelling back to me at about a tenner under the reasonable price I'd offered.

Soldato
What would you be prepared to pay? Why not try and come to an agreement you're both happy with? Surely you had an amount in mind the exhaust should cost if the seller believes it would be worth £400.

Back
Top Bottom