First Gaming/Family PC

Associate
Hi

I've decided to come away from console gaming and move over to the pc to benefit my ever growing family .

I'm trying to build something that will last the upcoming generation and also something that will last the kids a while ?
I have a few going up to senior school in September that will rely on it for homework/school projects ect

The main use of the pc will be gaming but I'm trying to build a really good all rounder .

These are the parts Im looking at -

MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS Motherboard
Intel Core i9-10900K
MSI NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16 GB
WD 2 TB Performance Hard Drive
Wd blue SN550 1TB High-Performance M.2 Pcie NVMe SSD
Corsair Hydro 115i RGB Platinum, Hydro Series, 280 mm Radiator
CORSAIR 601-850 Watt RM850X

I would really appreciate some pointers ! Am I barking up the wrong tree .

Thanks

Soldato
What’s your budget? Your building this from parts right not pre-built? What monitor do you plan on using with this rig?

The PC you listed is very good, but afraid it will be overpriced - 10900k and 2080 is overkill (and over spending, not great value for money tbh)

I’d personally go for a Ryzen 3700X and 2070 Super build if you’re spending that sort of money.

Associate
OP
I'm looking at £2000 - £2300 max and yes I've decided to throw myself in and build myself . I'm Not sure if that's a good idea but I figured it would help in the future when things need swapping out or things go wrong ?

I have not really decided on a monitor yet so any suggestions would be great ?

Soldato
I'd go with something like this

3700X + 2070 Super much better value for money
32GB RAM to future proof
1TB NVMe for OS/Games
2TB HDD for Storage (downloads, music, documents, homework etc)

Case is personal choice, just pick something that's mid size and has good airflow. Otherwise the P400 Air is a great all rounder with good airflow.

The LG 27GL850-B monitor is fantastic, it was just recently on offer annoyingly for £150 less... But if you shop about the monitor can still be had for £50 less if not more.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,073.87 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Soldato
I'm looking at £2000 - £2300 max and yes I've decided to throw myself in and build myself . I'm Not sure if that's a good idea but I figured it would help in the future when things need swapping out or things go wrong ?
Certainly easier to change parts when already being familiar with insides of PC.
And along with buying Windows license from web self building saves like £200 into better parts, or for future upgrades.

Also AMD offers nice upgrade path:
There's improved Zen3 architecture coming out later this year, which should have similar IPC improvement to Zen+ > Zen2.
And it doesn't need much IPC and clock boost to beat Intel also in single threaded, while core ranges already go up to 16.

But in graphics cards you just don't get future proofness at the moment.
Performance per price has been quite stagnant for many many years with also relatively slow advance in performance, just like in CPUs before Ryzen.
Hopefully that changes in few months with next-gen.

Just for scale GPU of next Xbox coming before Christmas could perform similar to the most overpriced current graphics cards:
For its off the charts bat crazy price RTX 2080 Ti is only 35-40% faster than £400 level Radeon 5700 XT.
Now GPU of next Xbox has 30% more processing units than 5700 XT, so that alone should give nice boost.
And architecture is no doubt all around improved.
For PC side AMD has for the first time in long time high end aiming big GPU with rumoured number of processing units double that of 5700 XT.

Assuming normally illuminated room that LG is overall one of the best monitors for gaming at the moment.
Also rest of part list is good, though bundled CPU cooler isn't greatest.

£21 priced Arctic Freezer 34 is excellent bang per buck cooler for only 8 core Ryzen.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-freezer-34-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-077-ar.html
And something like Alpenfohn Brocken 3 would be good for 12/16 core Ryzens.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-brocken-3-cpu-cooler-140mm-hs-05a-al.html

Soldato
Good shout by @EsaT - definitely grab your W10 license from that popular auction website, they can be had for about £5 ;) So that saves you another £100 odd too.

Also a better cooler would probably be an idea, the Ryzen stock coolers are much better than previous years stock coolers, but not amazing either... So the Alpenfohn Brocken 3 linked would be a great idea too for only £43.

Let us know what you end up going for

Back
Top Bottom