First impressions & Teardown: Acer Revo RL70 AMD Sff System

Associate
OP
ive seen the video previews of that, looks pretty sweet, kinda like a double stacked version of the rl70 , all i know is that the version i saw had a bluray drive and tv tuner built in too. verrrrry nice ;)

Soldato
Oh, looks good. Wish they made mini-PCIe GPUs. I would like the option to upgrade the graphics. All they need to do is make laptop GPUs with mini-PCIe.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
heya satoshi, you just have to unscrew and pop the mainboard out and the hdd is fixed to the motherboard with 4 screws underneath. its a doddle to get out and put back together.

Associate
OP
Not 100% sure if ill be updating this thread fer a bit now as my lil fully upgraded baby is now up for sale on the MM, (dosent fit my arcade cabinet as well as id hoped)

can still answer any queries while i still have it though ;)

Associate
just moved my Microserver with a 6450 upstairs so been looking at one of these. How does it deal with 720 / 1080 Win7 in XBMC?

I had a Emachines ER1401 and it played nice with 720 but I wanted 1080.

Associate
Silky smooth here too. Handles all my high bit rate mkv's and bitstreams the high definiton audio to my receiver flawlessly. If you use an external player with XBMC for mkv's then you might have to make some setting changes but if you're just using XBMC then it will work fine. Also thanks for the info Aikon on swapping out the hdd. Got my SSD in there now and it runs excellent.

Associate
I can't hear the fan at all and temps range from 50C to mid 70C. The only time I've seen it get up pretty high is when in the menu for XBMC since it draws it at 60fps so the GPU gets pretty warm. Never had any temp related problems though.

Soldato
I can't hear the fan at all and temps range from 50C to mid 70C. The only time I've seen it get up pretty high is when in the menu for XBMC since it draws it at 60fps so the GPU gets pretty warm. Never had any temp related problems though.

Thanks, sounds like some sort of fan control might be handy to trade a little sound-temp :)

Associate
I've been after something like the Revo RL70 for a while at the moment its a toss up between the Revo and this foxconn 3500

The foxconn has USB 3, DVI rather than VGA and is proper diddly 190(W) x 135(D) x 25(H)mm versus the revo at Width 209.89 mm Depth 209.89 mm Height 35.35 mm. The foxconn has an E-350 rather than the E-450 and only one memory slot.

At the moment I am going for the foxconn because of the size and usb 3. I am attracted to the Revo though because of the extra sata port and wonder if a proper SSD could be stacked on the HDD, the only problem it seems is no extra sata power as well as the fact I don't know if it could fit.

Can anyone think of a way to split the sata power off the HDD and attach an SSD? so far I have thoughtof using a short 5cm sata cable out of an xbox 360 and a sata power splitter or this, I just wonder if the the HDD could slide along that much and the clearance above also.

I suppose I could buy a mini pcie SSD but I dont want to spend any more money as I have a spare SSD HDD and RAM.

What semi decent but cheapish (cost similar to proper SSDs for the capacity) would work with the Revo assuming they would at all.

In short could you stack another hard drive or SSD on the HDD.

Last edited:
Associate
Hello im new here, been a 'watcher' for a while and decided to finally sign up.

To the people with this system, i'm in need of a little help...

Id like to change the hard drive in mine but unsure of how to remove the top cover. I can see the screw on the back but not sure of what to do next?

I have previously owned an Acer Revo 3610 and had quite a horrifying experience taking the lid off to upgrade it - resulting in broken clips on a 1 week old system :( I don't really want to repeat that episode again and im looking for some tips from experienced people!

I also bought the Revo(s) to use as a retro arcade machine, here is a video i made of my 3610 when it was all set up

www.youtube.com/watch?v=szLCe8IzB_s

I can provide information to configure something like this if anyone needs it

Associate
Ok, managed it without breaking anything.

To remove top cover (for anyone who is looking how to do this)
-Remove screw at the back
-Pull lid up slightly at the back and put a credit card sized bit of plastic between top cover and lower casing
-Slide the card around both sides towards the front of the case (making worrying 'snapping' noises all the way around)
-Lift cover up, then towards the back to detach the clips at the very front.
-Remove 4 black screws on metal plate and lift up to remove

To remove motherboard
-Unscrew front-audio daughter board and pull up to remove
-Either unscrew the WiFi card and move to one side, or detach the antenna's
-Remove the 4 silver standoff's
-Loosen the 4 silver screws around the heatsink, disconnect the fan connector and pull up to remove
-The motherboard can now be removed, i had a problem with the usb connectors getting hooked on the metal shield in the bottom of the case, just take it easy and it will come out
-Remove 4 black screws under the motherboard to detach the hard drive

On a side note, Acer used some pretty terrible thermal pad on the cooler, would prob be better to replace it with some Artic Silver or something while its all apart.

Back
Top Bottom