First Man (2018)

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Space historian Amy Shira Teitel's spoilerrific review:

I agree with a lot of what she says. Beautifully filmed and very worthy, but if you were hoping for a film that was actually about Apollo and the mission like 'Apollo 13', or the 'From The Earth To The Moon' series, then you might come away disappointed. This film is more about Armstrong's reaction to the illness and death of his daughter.

Permabanned
Saw it last night at the Sheffield imax, amazing film. The worrying thing was there must have only been about 30 people watching in that enormous screen.

Caporegime
Wow. What a film, seriously. It's intense from the get go and doesn't let up. If you can see it in an iMAX please do so, the audio and visual effects are incredible. There's a point in the film where the camera pans down the stairs of the module and out onto the Moons surface. Holy ****. You could literally hear a pindrop and as I looked around EVERYONE was sat with their mouths agasp. Even if you are not a fan of space films go and see it, it's more from the angle of the families perspective and the impact it has.

Simply amazing

I feel like I just been to the moon watching that. Those things are like tin cans, it's almost like in a Mini cooper from the 60's !

Amazing film.

Caporegime
1/10. We walked out and if we'd have paid for the tickets I'd have asked for my money back. How the director managed to take one of humanity's greatest achievements and turn it in to a two hour long abortion of a film is beyond me, complete and utter dross.

But then I also thought Dunkirk was a load of crap too so meh.

Soldato
Watched it at the Picture House, Soho yesterday. Cinema was surprisingly busy; several scenes where you could hear a pin-drop. Some out of place raucous laughter from a few of Buzz's lines.

Enjoyable, but Apollo 13 it.was.not.

I get why there are a few of overtly negative comments.

Caporegime
I thought it was a solid 8/10 myself.

Didn't particularly stir the emotions, but it made me appreciate the sheer difficulty and sacrifice people made to get to that point.

Caporegime
Probably not enough space battles.

Nope. I wanted to watch a film about a man going to the moon and creating history. Instead I got a film focussing on all his personal stuff and a load of emo crap that had absolutely naff all to do with the mission. The director clearly enjoyed building tension as there was a constant noticeable delay in every single aspect of the film, from Neil's reaction times in the opening scene to the seconds of silence in the dialogue.

Arty farty rubbish, just get on with it :confused:

Soldato
There are probably many documentaries out there that can cater for that.

If you wanted to see the Apollo mission and the moon landing then you sure shot yourself in the foot by leaving early.

Last edited:
Caporegime
There are probably many documentaries out there that can cater for that.

If you wanted to see the Apollo mission and the moon landing then you sure shot yourself in the foot by leaving early.

Hands down my favourite genre of film is true stories. Spitlight, Big Short, Rush, etc. All fantastic films and in the case of Rush the film also focussed on not one, but two peoples' personal lives and they pulled it off superbly. I just feel that First Man is an incredibly wasted oppirtunity.

Ps I'm not trying to tell anyone their ooinion is wrong, we all have differing tastes and I respect anyone's opinion but I just couldn't enjoy this at all.

I'm no stranger to having controversial opinions either. A few others I didn't enjoy were Interstellar, Dunkirk, Drive and many more.

Back
Top Bottom