First PC in 20 years - and I tried to OC....

Associate
Nothing drastic - very mild, but thought Id give it a go.

I have a Ryzen 3700+. I used the Ryzen software (as i very rarely turn the PC off so it will keep its settings). I have 2 profiles saved, on set for default OC Boost, the other manually tuned for all cores to 4250. Both seem stable, though not sure (yet) which is better performance.

Memory is Corsair LPX 3600, and Ive overclocked this just a little (to keep it in the sweat spot for the CPU) at 3666. Could have gone one higher, but THB think this is fine. I also tightened the stock CAS18 timings to 17 which is stable.

GPU - I used EVGAs Precision X! software here, and just ran the scan and applied the results. Definitely made a difference as on user benchmark I was under performing for the card (compared to others) at 94% - but after the OC I was at 104% so Im happy with that.

Going to do some proper benchmarks tomorrow - but to say its flying is an understatement.

Any hints/tips to further enhance the system (without any excessive risk as this is my first ever attempt to OC and Im 52) would be great.

Associate
I’d put the memory back at 3600 and focus on timings instead. I understand that setting the memory to faster than 3600 can cause the infinity fabric to run at 1:2 rather than 1:1 with the memory speed.

Associate
OP
I’d put the memory back at 3600 and focus on timings instead. I understand that setting the memory to faster than 3600 can cause the infinity fabric to run at 1:2 rather than 1:1 with the memory speed.

That's why I took it to 3666. The limit for 1 to 1 fabric is 3740 or there abouts (37 something). Next click step I could go was 3743 and wasnt sure that was over of not.

I will try and take timings to cas 16 once I've finished tinkering.

Associate
OP
GPU is a KFA RTX270 Super. Didnt k ow the make - but when I spoke to OC they reasured me it was decent. OK its at the cheaper end of the 2070 cards - but as long as it runs things at nice detail (not just now but going forwards) Im happy - a few FPS at my age will make no difference lol, my reactions are far slower then any FPS can cure.

Ive continued to play - and I seem to have things stable. I tried other software - the Asus Ai Suite 3. The monitoring isnt as "fast" as the Ryzen software, but its easier to work with and offers some "auto" tuning and stress testing. So I currently have the following:

3700+ CPU overclocked for all cores at 4.2 - set up on Suite 3
the RAM Overclocked at 3666 DDR (1833 clock) - and the Fckl in the CPU also at 1833 for 1:1 ratio
I have added some case fans (on double headers) as I like over engineering - and they have been profiled in Suite 3 as well.
RTX 2070 Super Overclocked via Precision X software.

Ive run this through user benchmark to get an idea - and the results put the PC in the top 4% - and all individual components over the 50th percentile for the spec (some like the CPU and NVME drive are in the top 4%, memory is 65% and GPU at 54% - not unexpected given the make/model of the card.

Non of this will really make any real world difference to me - however, I like to "over engineer" things as Im an electronics Tech by trade. The last time I played with a computer at this level was back in the late 70s/early 80s helping my dad put our first computer together - a Nascom-1 which came in kit form. He found an old electronic typewriter at his work (British Steel - he worked in computing even back then) to house it in - and it connected to our TV. If I remember rightly it had a whopping 1 KB of memory.

Back
Top Bottom