First plasma a few questions

Soldato
Finally took the plunge and purchased a new tv SAMSUNG PS43E490

Not overly impressed with the reflective screen but i can live with it otherwise set up was painless and quick.

I know there is google for most things but would prefer to ask a few questions here to get your opinion and input.

I hooked up a ps3 and downloaded the 3d demo of killzone 3 just to try out the 3d but as with other demos it just comes up "3d tv not detected" is there something i am doing wrong or could you guys point me in the right direction?

Second question relates to the usb, although you can purchase an optional wifi direct card ( i did not ) i would like to attach a usb external hard drive to play my movies when i dont want to power up the ps3 so does anyone have any idea of what file formats are compatable with this tv and would the external hard drive let me play 3d movies directly from it?

Thanks for your help in advance :)

**edit**

Have figured out playing movies and music etc on an external after formatting in fat 32 first and with an attached network cable it can browse shared libraries on pc mmmm good, so just the 3d to figure out if anyone has any ideas?

Last edited:
Soldato
what speed hdmi are using, as some cheap slower ones will not do 3D, also i think but not 100% sure there is a setting in the ps3 video output for 3D.

Soldato
OP
Hi insane200 am just using a bog standard hdmi cable just reading up on 3d and apparently you have to use a hdmi 1.4 cable do you think that is likely the problem?
Thanks for your input much appreciated :)

Soldato
I can add a small amount of input here. I've had my PS3 for 3 years. When I first had my 3DTV a few months ago, the first time I booted the PS3 up it said something like "3DTV detected, do you want to enable 3D" Then it asked the size of my screen to get the best performance. If it doesn't do this then maybe you can do it manually. So without enabling 3D on the PS3, it's not going to work.

Soldato
OP
I can add a small amount of input here. I've had my PS3 for 3 years. When I first had my 3DTV a few months ago, the first time I booted the PS3 up it said something like "3DTV detected, do you want to enable 3D" Then it asked the size of my screen to get the best performance. If it doesn't do this then maybe you can do it manually. So without enabling 3D on the PS3, it's not going to work.

Hi mame:)

Yes i did that bit manually am thinking from other users its the hdmi cable i shall have to shop tommorrow for a 1.4 hdmi lead thanks for the input :)

have you downloaded the software for the ps3 to make it 3d?

Hi chili :)

I have not downloaded any 3d specific software i thought that would be taken care of with system updates ? Thanks for the input :)

Soldato
Fat 32 is going to have some major limits if you are watching HD content, see if it will work with ntfs drives, the file limit on fat 32 is around 4gb and a decent bd rip is at least 9gb

Soldato
OP
Thanks for that chili have got a decent 1.4 hdmi cable on order just to be sure am browsing direct from tv to pc and watching movies that way for now.

Hi sHoOsH :)
I have only used a small usb drive for now formatted in fat 32 but as you rightly say i think i will have problems with larger files so will test today with ntfs, on the whole though the tv aint bad was well impressed at the ease it found windows media player shared libraries and has played every file format i have hit it with :) Thanks for your input!

Back
Top Bottom