First printer purchase

Associate
Looking into getting my first printer and after doing a bit of reading up have eyes set on Prusa mini+.
Just wondering if there is any other models I should look at. Dont want anything too large, mainly for small projects and needs to be decent print quality out the box. Dont mind playing with it to get perfect settings but dont want to be spending all day either :)

Associate
Looking into getting my first printer and after doing a bit of reading up have eyes set on Prusa mini+.
Just wondering if there is any other models I should look at. Dont want anything too large, mainly for small projects and needs to be decent print quality out the box. Dont mind playing with it to get perfect settings but dont want to be spending all day either :)

To be honest, if you have the budget for it go for a Prusa they are great printers and their support is super. Bit of a lead time of the Prusa's but worth the wait. You going for the mostly assembled or complete kit?

Associate
OP
To be honest, if you have the budget for it go for a Prusa they are great printers and their support is super. Bit of a lead time of the Prusa's but worth the wait. You going for the mostly assembled or complete kit?
Thats exactly what I was thinking, great support is the main reason I'm leaning towards it and from what I've read auto levelling is very useful .......under £400 so its not really that much more compare to other decent models.
I' was thinking going for the kit (says 13 weeks) but assembled one says 8 weeks and its £40 more. Not really in a hurry so will just wait and get the kit.
Is their own filament any good or should I just order another brands when the printer arrives ?

Associate
Thats exactly what I was thinking, great support is the main reason I'm leaning towards it and from what I've read auto levelling is very useful .......under £400 so its not really that much more compare to other decent models.
I' was thinking going for the kit (says 13 weeks) but assembled one says 8 weeks and its £40 more. Not really in a hurry so will just wait and get the kit.
Is their own filament any good or should I just order another brands when the printer arrives ?

If I had the space I'd get another Prusa, I have a MK2.5S and it still prints great so the newer models will be great.

Their filament is good because they make it in-house so control the manufacturing but other brands are also as good so I wouldn't worry about using other brands, they have a lot of filament profiles setup in PrusaSlicer anyway.

Associate
OP
If I had the space I'd get another Prusa, I have a MK2.5S and it still prints great so the newer models will be great.

Their filament is good because they make it in-house so control the manufacturing but other brands are also as good so I wouldn't worry about using other brands, they have a lot of filament profiles setup in PrusaSlicer anyway.
I did look at the bigger model but think just too big at the moment, when we upgrade our house I will definitely look into it at the time. Good to hear from somebody that owns one of their printers, appreciate your input .......will pull the trigger and order this weekend. Meanwhile will research more into filament and see whats good for this particular model.

Associate
Brexit is messing up a lot of imports at the moment, so be mindful of that...but otherwise Prusa, imo, is the best FDM printer to buy, especially if you get the kit and make it yourself. It's not a difficult build (I really enjoyed making mine) and it means you'll know every inch of your printer.

Get a few rolls of prusament too. It's my favourite filament.

Associate
OP
Had contact with them and its total mess, will have to pay vat on import, on top of that will have to pay courier handling fee and credit card admin fee. Not sure what to do now, might wait a while and see if they will start reselling/shipping from within UK.

Associate
Had contact with them and its total mess, will have to pay vat on import, on top of that will have to pay courier handling fee and credit card admin fee. Not sure what to do now, might wait a while and see if they will start reselling/shipping from within UK.

I'm fairly confident they will not be reselling them in the UK. There are ZERO official Prusa resellers in the world. The thing is we have been spoilt by not paying the VAT/Duty on imports from the likes of China for a long time and now we have to, we are just going to have to suck it up.

You could contact the courier and see if you can arrange to pay the VAT/Duty before they do, that's why they charge a fee.

Associate
OP
I'm fairly confident they will not be reselling them in the UK. There are ZERO official Prusa resellers in the world. The thing is we have been spoilt by not paying the VAT/Duty on imports from the likes of China for a long time and now we have to, we are just going to have to suck it up.

You could contact the courier and see if you can arrange to pay the VAT/Duty before they do, that's why they charge a fee.
If only we were still in Europe ....

Associate
Just been reading up and they might consider shipping from within UK depending how it goes over next few months. Apparently their supplier is situated in UK.

Their supplier of what? Only one of their suppliers that I know is based in the UK is E3D and they only supplier hotends and not the ones used on the Mini.

Associate
No.

I get my filament from Poland at the same cost.

It does now have a load of paper work. But the guy I buy from thought ahead.

Oh I see..you mean over £130. Buy the printer in parts?

Yes purchases under £130 don't require on top costs, those above do. Some businesses are taking this payment during checkout, some like Prusa aren't which will then incur extra on top cost from the carrier as they will pay the duty/vat etc and then ask you to pay in back + a fee.

Also you have to be a previous Prusa printer customer to purchase spare parts, so he wouldn't be able to buy the printer in parts (would also cost more I think).

Soldato
Yes purchases under £130 don't require on top costs, those above do. Some businesses are taking this payment during checkout, some like Prusa aren't which will then incur extra on top cost from the carrier as they will pay the duty/vat etc and then ask you to pay in back + a fee.

Also you have to be a previous Prusa printer customer to purchase spare parts, so he wouldn't be able to buy the printer in parts (would also cost more I think).

Prusa hasn't got a UK VAT number yet.
It says so on the website. Very short sited by Prusa.

They can either have a seller here(E3D) or split the printer up,
So each part comes under £130 :) simples :)

If Prusa want the cash, they will do it.

Back
Top Bottom