First Time Buyer and Small Crack in Exterior Wall

Associate
Hi

We are about to buy a house and there is a small crack in the exterior wall from the corner of a window but it doesnt go completely to ground. Can anyone give any idea whether this is serious issue or not.

Thanks

Rob

https://goo.gl/photos/5LUtR8iLqasvG2Mk9

5LUtR8iLqasvG2Mk9

Soldato
A surveyor should have looked at this and commented. Could be the portent of subsidence - or not. Anything inside? eg crack or covered over crack?

Man of Honour
I don't think a valuation survey will report issues like subsidence if it's present, it might be worth considering getting a full structural survey done if you're worried.

yup, a valuation survey is literally just what it says on the tin - the mortgage company checking your not paying silly money for something so they won't be left out of pocket if you default on the loan. You won't get anything in the way of structural checks (although if its obviously falling down they might well flag that up)

If your worried, and i'm not sure its something serious (but i'm no surveyor) i'd seriously consider getting a proper survey done on the place.

Soldato
I would put my money (well the cost of a full structural survey) that it is a settlement crack. Pay for a professional to take a proper look at it. A valuation survey is not much more then a check to see the house exists.

Soldato
Would bet this was caused by the UPVC window install, but as above get a structural survey done. I would also try and check that there is a proper lintel above the window.

This. It follows the mortar joint and starts at the window. So I (personally) wouldn't be worried. If it carried on up then "Maybe" but that wouldn't concern me. If it was movement then I would expect to see cracked bricks too. (not just the corner of one near the window)

Associate
OP
This. It follows the mortar joint and starts at the window. So I (personally) wouldn't be worried. If it carried on up then "Maybe" but that wouldn't concern me. If it was movement then I would expect to see cracked bricks too. (not just the corner of one near the window)

I thought this, although the crack does go right through the middle of a brick at the bottom. Also the bricks are all still inline so doesn't look like anything has moved.

Rob

Soldato
I thought this, although the crack does go right through the middle of a brick at the bottom. Also the bricks are all still inline so doesn't look like anything has moved.

Rob

I still wouldn't be worried. Is the windows near the corner of the house. I'll be even less worried if thats halfway down a longer wall.

Associate
OP
Soldato
I still wouldn't be worried. BUT. It might be worth having a quick look around the other corner. Looks like you have a drain pipe on that corner. IF that is blocked/Leaking etc it could cause issues on that corner.

Associate
OP
I still wouldn't be worried. BUT. It might be worth having a quick look around the other corner. Looks like you have a drain pipe on that corner. IF that is blocked/Leaking etc it could cause issues on that corner.

Ok thanks for your advice, as long as the valuation is ok i think we will just fill it in for now. If it is something more i presume it will reappear then we can consider getting it looked at.

Soldato
Ok thanks for your advice, as long as the valuation is ok i think we will just fill it in for now. If it is something more i presume it will reappear then we can consider getting it looked at.

Please don't ignore the overwhelming advise in the thread. While it might look simple and we can theorise ultimately it's you who will have to deal with and pay for any issues. A valuation survey literally does nothing. Sometimes they don't even physically visit the house. Get a structural survey done and if needs be get the cost knocked off the price of the house, plus this may give you leverage to knock more off the price.

Man of Honour
If it is something structural you'll suddenly loose a huge chunk of value off the house and be lumbered with something that'll cost huge amounts to fix (if it even can be) - please just pay for a structural survey, even if for your own peace of mind!

Soldato
Honestly i cant recommend enough to get a full survey off the bat. A few hundred now could save you so much time and money if they find something you can't see.

If you dont have the extra cash to spare (dangerous if buying...) You could always add it in to the mortgage or knock it off the offer you make.

Last edited:
Associate
I also can't recommend enough getting a proper structural engineer to take a look. This is the kind of thing that can really bite you in the arse later on, particularly with buildings insurance and when you try and sell it on later.

We had a couple of stepped cracks in the front of our place and having a structural engineers report saying it was fine made buildings insurance much better (we disclosed the crack when buying the insurance but with the report they still covered subsidence) and currently selling at the moment, having the report has meant the other side are not worried either when their surveyor noticed the mortar repairs we had done.

Don't cheap out on it! You may not be worried about it, but what about the next people when you come to sell?

Associate
We have a similar looking crack down the side of our house (no window close by). It goes down about 4-5 brick depths, probably not even 1mm wide and more like a hairline crack. The house was built in 1998. Get it checked, I'm not suggesting yours is definitely okay but mine hasn't widened or grown in the last 7 or so years we've lived here.

Back
Top Bottom