First time Linux noob, which distro?

Caporegime
Hi all,

Have never really had much more experience than booting Linux off a USB stick to recover data. It's something I have always been curious about.

So, I've got the spare resources. I want to run a virtual machine with Linux of some description and begin using it daily. Experimenting with software installs. General daily use etc. With the hopes of becoming much more familiar with it and eventually being able to administer and troubleshoot it.

Any recommendations with a distro to try? On USB I've been using Ubuntu. Any others worth a look?

TIA :)
Jake

Soldato
Ubuntu or Mint would probably be the two most recommend distros. A lot of help/tutorials around for those.

Personally I use openSuse but their rolling release version can be a bit hit or miss with updates breaking things.

Soldato
https://distrowatch.com/

Their most popular list is probably as good a 'recommendation' as you'll get: Mint, Debian, Ubuntu, openSUSE, elementary, manjaro...

I've used Fedora, Ubuntu, and Debian in the past. Next stop would probably be openSUSE or Arch (or maybe Slackware but only for the old-skool experience). Also interested in BSD though for variety.

Last edited:
Associate
Popular doesn't mean great, just means a lot of people use them.
I would go for some thing a bit more newbie friendly like ROSA or Solus OS.

ROSA is awesome, but is Russian so might be hard to get help on their forums.
Solus is still pretty new but very actively worked on, and updated more than any other distro out there. Their devs are on the ball all the time.

For a first timer I would go with solus.

Soldato
It's personal preference for the most part, try creating a few VM's and trying each out. Ubuntu and Mint would be towards the top of the recommended list.

I personally use Ubuntu on my day to day work laptop.

Associate
But a lot more people using something, generally means help is a easier to find, as you are unlikely to be the first person to try and do something.
True. Though ubuntu forums can be a bit over saturated at times, you can get quite lost.
Are they all fundamentally the same but have different looks and behaviours?
The only real difference between all distro's is the package managers. But they are all the very same system.
Package managers will soon be a thing of the past though, developers will eventually start building for the new universal package manager.

Last edited:
Soldato
As you are just starting out I would stick to one of the more well known distros, Ubuntu/Mint or Fedora/OpenSUSE, this will give you access to systems that you are more likely to find in work environments and therefore you will gain some transferable skills.

Once you've started getting more comfortable you may then want to branch out and pick another distribution which more suits your requirements once you work out what those are.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks all for the helpful info. I am sure there will be more questions soon! :D

The only real difference between all distro's is the package managers. But they are all the very same system.
Package managers will soon be a thing of the past though, developers will eventually start building for the new universal package manager.

Can someone tell me the definition of the package manager? What does this mean? Thank you :)

Soldato
Can someone tell me the definition of the package manager? What does this mean? Thank you :)

The 'app store' before there were app stores (mid 90s). Someone else gets the code and compiles it for your architecture. The files can then be downloaded and installed on demand. They also deal with dependencies automatically. Effectively it replaces installers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom