First time rider bike recommendations/advice

Soldato
I’ve stuck my head in here in the past, few years back I was looking into my license but things came up with work and we both needed a car so bought my 435i instead.

We got the Mrs a TT last month so I was thinking of replacing the 435i with something else but decided I’ve will keep it and finally do my bike license. So the bike will purely be for fun, and going to the office on the dry days.

I’m 26 so going down the DAS route cbt booked in the end of this month! I’ve been driving for 8.5 years now too so atleast have plenty of experience driving on the roads but understand biking is still very different.

My first question is; what’s reasonable power for a first time rider? I know at 26 with DAS I can ride anything, and I’ve always drooled over super dukes Rs but I know a 1290 out the gate is a huge no so I’m not even thinking about but it gives you an idea of the kind of bike I love. I’ve been looking at the following;

Cb650r
Cbr650r & f
Ninja 650
Z650
R-7
MT-07
Steer triple 765
Duke 790

Last 2 I’m inclined to think they may be a bit too much power for a first bike and with me wanting a super duke r one day feels a bit pointless getting a 790. But basically a combination of super sports and naked is what I’m drawn too.

I’m by no means a small guy, 6ft 3 and 100kg so smaller power bikes/smaller bikes in General I want to avoid for comfort aspect.

For gear I’m just going to find a decent local shop and get trying helmets and things on as I also have a massive head so not much point ordering online for that! If anyone knows any decent shops in the notts area that’d be handy too.

So yeah basically, after advice for what first bikes are good, what’s a good power region to be aiming at and any other tips you seasoned might have.

Soldato
The rule that you shouldn’t get a powerful bike first is nonsense.

Get the bike you want and take it easy while you learn how the bike handles and where the power is.

Caporegime

Get the bike you want and take it easy while you learn how the bike handles and where the power is.

For a bit of context, Captain has been riding powerful bikes for over 10 years. I'd highly, highly recommend getting something small to start with. Every biker who's killed himself on a powerful bike started with "it's fine I'll take it slow" - not a single biker on the face of the earth doesn't succumb to a moment of "I wonder how fast this can go" which is often where the stats come from.

Welcome to biking, take it slow, a small error in judgement can kill you.

Soldato
Personally I don't think any of the above bikes would be overkill for a first time rider, but it really really does come down to self restraint, and the sense and will to stay out of hospital or the graveyard.
Of course you might throw your leg over a 600cc when you take your test and find that it scares the living crap out of you.
Only you will know whats best for you.
As Diddums has said, it may be best to start off slow (so to speak) and work your way up, but personally I wouldn't choose that route as it's very easy to get very bored of the power you have, and swapping out bikes can get expensive.
It may be worth asking your instructors opinion on what route to take.
I'd also go to a few bike shops and sit on the models you've listed, because at 6ft 3, you may find that some are too small or uncomfortable (Ninja 650).
If it were my choice of the bikes you've listed, I'd go for the MT-07 or Triple, buts thats just me.
You're entirely correct about not even thinking about a SDR1290R, I've just swapped mine for a ZX10R and the SDR was all round the way way faster machine, and frankly It'd be bat poop crazy to have one as a first bike (I've been riding for 30+ yrs and it scared the jeebus outta me).

J&S have a store in Notts and carry a huge selection of gear to try on.

Whatever route you take, have fun, stay safe and remember, you're not Rossi :)

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the replies guys. As some of you have said it’s more so with a big powerful bike the temptation is always there so no matter how restrained I could be all it takes is one bad expirement.

Yeah the ones I’m liking the most are the z650, street triple & mt-07 But I will be getting to a decent shop and having a feel.

I did see j & s, I drive past everyday! Wasn’t sure if it was a case of just a generic big retail store if they tend to know what they are talking about.

I know car speed doesn’t compare to bike speed but with both my cars having sub 5s acceleration I worry anything too slow will bore me.

Soldato
I can only comment on my local J&S, and they're super helpful and nothing is too much trouble.
They're a big online retailer, so their prices are competitive.
I wouldn't worry about getting bored on the 3 bikes you like, as they'll all crack a sub 4 second 0-60 and will do double the national speed limit.

Soldato
OP
I can only comment on my local J&S, and they're super helpful and nothing is too much trouble.
They're a big online retailer, so their prices are competitive.
I wouldn't worry about getting bored on the 3 bikes you like, as they'll all crack a sub 4 second 0-60 and will do double the national speed limit.

That’s good to know about J & S the school im using for my courses has a couple of shops themselves. Looking at their google reviews they are a very highly regarded training school which is fairly local so I’m happy I’ve got some good people to learn with close by. If there prices are nice I may use their shop.

As for insurance who do people use/how much do you pay. I very briefly looked last night at it was coming to ~£1200 for a 2020 z650. No idea what bike insurance should be costing.

Soldato
I always use the Meercat site for costs.
MCE almost always come up the cheapest with the best cover for me.
They had a few problems last year, but it’s all good now.
My SDR1290R was just over £300 FC, and ZX10R was £227 FC with them, although our circumstances are quite different.
It’ll come down a lot when you’ve got some no claims bonus.

Soldato
OP
I always use the Meercat site for costs.
MCE almost always come up the cheapest with the best cover for me.
They had a few problems last year, but it’s all good now.
My SDR1290R was just over £300 FC, and ZX10R was £227 FC with them, although our circumstances are quite different.
It’ll come down a lot when you’ve got some no claims bonus.

Not too dissimilar from car pricing then, I expect a costly first couple of years.

Soldato
Try Thebikeinsurer too, also do a direct quote with BeMoto, comparison sites were more expensive.

I’ve just paid £201 FC with BeMoto, their comparison quote came in at £229.

Soldato

I'm in this camp, as its exactly what I did - went from only driving cars, to passing DAS in 2007 and jumping straight onto a Ninja ZX6R 636.

I treated the bike with respect, and spent many months getting to know how the bike handled and stopped, before I gradually started to open it up a bit - and aside from dropping her on a U turn on the first day, had no issues until a car wiped me out (100% their fault) - one week (or so) away from my first years NCB.

There's a school of thought that you 'earn' a big bike - cutting your teeth on a 125, then onto whatever else, before getting a "600". It's not necessary though, sure a 125 will often teach you a lot about keeping up speed in the bends, but it becomes pretty much void once you're on a proper bike, as they are about 10 times easier to ride in every area.

If you can respect a big bike and want one, go for it - there's no reason to go for anything less than what you fancy imo.

Soldato
OP
Spent so long watching review and comparison videos.

Narrowed down to a mt-07, z650 or a cb650r

Once I’ve got the full license I’ll be sure to go and check all 3 out. Each have their own downfall, z650 may be a bit too small for my size, mt-07 seems to not have the best power delivery form reviews and the cb650r has a circle headlight which I am not a fan off tbh. But I’m certain a naked is the style for me atleast!

Associate
Spent so long watching review and comparison videos.

Narrowed down to a mt-07, z650 or a cb650r

Once I’ve got the full license I’ll be sure to go and check all 3 out. Each have their own downfall, z650 may be a bit too small for my size, mt-07 seems to not have the best power delivery form reviews and the cb650r has a circle headlight which I am not a fan off tbh. But I’m certain a naked is the style for me atleast!

Out of those listed it'd be the mt07 for me, still more than enough power to get you into trouble and I wouldn't worry about the power delivery as you'll learn to manage it and ride it in a way that suits you.

I went from an FZR600, CBR1100xx, Turbo'd CBR1100xx and now on a Tiger 1200. I honestly have so much more fun on the Tiger than any other bike, can throw it around easier and can generally out pace a lot of 'fast' riders when it gets to the twisties and B roads on it too.

Think there's a decent sized J&S in or near Nott's, but i generally now wait for the bike show at the NEC for any gear purchases. I'm not a million miles from Nottingham, so once you've passed happy to go for a bimble to get your confidence up. (IAM advanced and Bloodbike rider)

Soldato
OP
Out of those listed it'd be the mt07 for me, still more than enough power to get you into trouble and I wouldn't worry about the power delivery as you'll learn to manage it and ride it in a way that suits you.

I went from an FZR600, CBR1100xx, Turbo'd CBR1100xx and now on a Tiger 1200. I honestly have so much more fun on the Tiger than any other bike, can throw it around easier and can generally out pace a lot of 'fast' riders when it gets to the twisties and B roads on it too.

Think there's a decent sized J&S in or near Nott's, but i generally now wait for the bike show at the NEC for any gear purchases. I'm not a million miles from Nottingham, so once you've passed happy to go for a bimble to get your confidence up. (IAM advanced and Bloodbike rider)

Yeah i suppose so. just gotta see what Im comfortable being on at the end of the day.

I appreciate that offer bud, I'll be sure to keep it in mind, would be nice to ride with some more experienced people.

Back
Top Bottom