First Time Water Cooling Advice

Associate
Hi all,

As this is my first outing to custom water cooling, I thought it best to get clarification on a few things before I start cutting, bending and fitting pipes.

The setup will include an MSI MEG Z390 Ace, Lian Li O11 Dynamic Razer Edition, RTX 2080ti, i7-8086k, EKWB Vector CPU and GPU Blocks, EKWB 140 REVO Pump / Res combo, 2 x 360 Rads and 9 Corsair RGB LL120 RGB Fans.

Firstly, while pretty much all my research has led me to believe that loop order doesn’t seem to matter, can anyone here confirm this in a dual rad / dual block layout?

In my head, CPU > Rad1 > GPU > Rad2 back to CPU with the pump / res somewhere in the middle looks like the best option but my research would tell me that it doesn’t matter. Any advice on this would be helpful.

Another issue I am having is finding a suitable location for the pump & res. While the O11 does boast multi rad support, getting 2 x 360s in required me to use the regular EK one at the top but the slim version for the side. This also required me to have the slim rad fixed inside the main case compartment with the fans mounted in front of the rad in pull / exhaust configuration. The question I have is, is there a pump mounting solution that can be secured to a 120mm fan? Alternatively, I could mount the pump horizontally at the bottom of the case but that would hinder my fresh air intake capacity.

lastly and slightly off topic, can anyone advise on the best and neatest way to control 9 x Corsair RGB fans? Each set of 3 comes with its own control boxes but I though it worth asking if there was a better way of doing it as I would like to keep things as neat and tidy as possible. Also, I would like to minimise the amount of different hardware monitoring / RGB control software installations required to avoid any conflicts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

C

Associate
Assuming your flow rate isn't really low (shouldn't be with a D5 in that system) then the loop order doesn't matter. The water should be moving fast enough to achieve equilibrium after a few minutes. Just go with what is shortest and/or neatest.

Not checked for your specific pump but you should be able to use either of these to attach it to a 120mm fan:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-uni-pump-bracket-120mm-fan-wc-913-ek.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-uni-pump-bracket-120mm-fan-vertical-wc-890-ek.html

Soldato
Loop Order:
Tried this, found lots of video's stating the same and can concur that it really doesn't matter unless going for some crazy levels of overclocking with fans on max etc..

Res Mounting:
The Pump Res would fit on to the side mounted 360 in the 011 using the brackets linked above! Definitely work well and nice and neat!

Controlling Fans:
I can recommend the Corsair Commander Pro (I've used a few lately on new builds),
- It will allow you to connect the Lighting Nodes that come with the fans and control the RGB of those,
- It can also drive up to 6 fans, of which I'd consider maybe using fan splitter cables to double up some of them to drive all 9 fans, i.e. double up 4 fan drives to drive 8 fans + one on it's own, that leaves one for the next item..
- It can control the PWM drive to the EK D5 pump, either up to 4500RPM if using RPM control or drive it using the PWM drive option up to 100% (allowing full 5500RPM if you want crazy!)
- I've tagged on my EK Water block RGBs to the Commander Pro. Firstly EK provided an alternate ARGB LED strip to replace the 12V RGB one pre-installed, the ARGB (Addressable RGB) is compatible with the Corsair stuff, you just need to make a converter cable which is easy (and I've a few tips on that). I even managed to hook up my Evolv-X DRGB case lighting to the commander pro as well.
- It also has 4 temperature sensor inputs (comes with 4, and works with many of the inline water temp sensors)
- is < £60.

The other option for control is go full on Aquaero controller / quadro for more fans, but not sure it will work easily with the LL120's for example, or other RGB stuff (like the EK Blocks).

With an R2700X / Titan Xp, RES->PUMP->GPU->CPU->280 TOP RAD (XFLOW)->420 FRONT RAD loop order, and 6 ML140 fans, with temp sensors post blocks (pre-rads) and then the return after the water has been through the rad:
pWijxwN.jpg
This has the fans ticking over at just over 400RPM, Pump at 1000RPM with nice temps, it's essentially silent in the room.

The LCD Sysinfo I use to display this can talk to the commander pro (via SIV64X) to get the two inline temperature sensors and a case sensor as well as all the case/rad fans which are all connected.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the info guys, much more helpfull than the AVForums lot.

[Demon] - 2 more questions.

I have ordered a single Corsair Commander, should I get another one or will one unit do the job for all 9 RGB fans? My Mobo has a few RGB headers but currently I have the GPU Block, CPU Block and Pump RGB cables into them.

And lastly, due to the fact I have never replaced a GPU cooler I wouldn't mind quickly booting the PC to the BIOS screen to make sure I haven't borked anything. Do you think it is ok to boot the system for a minute or so without any liquid circulating?

Thanks again.

Soldato
Thanks for the info guys, much more helpfull than the AVForums lot.

[Demon] - 2 more questions.

I have ordered a single Corsair Commander, should I get another one or will one unit do the job for all 9 RGB fans? My Mobo has a few RGB headers but currently I have the GPU Block, CPU Block and Pump RGB cables into them.
This is a good thread on the corsair forums that might help: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=172785
The confusing thing (for me at least when I started out) was getting my head around RGB Fans, there are two separate cables for each, one for driving the FAN speed (PWM in this case), one for the RGB lighting and you can treat them completely separately.

In your case, and based on my experience, you could just use a similar setup to that shown in the thread, slightly simplified for now.
1. For Fan Speed (PWM) connections, use the 6 on the corsair commander with some splitter cables (to connect 2 fans PWM cables to a single commander fan connection), I would leave 1 fan speed connection free for your D5 Pump PWM cable. so 4 Fan Splitter cables (e.g. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-cable-y-splitter-2-fan-pwm-10cm-wc-551-ek.html) these will connect to fan 1 to fan 4 on the commander, fan 5 can then be straight to your ninth fan, and fan 6 connection left for the D5 Pump PWM.
2. For the fans RGB, you could use the single commander pro, (it has 2 RGB lighting connectors), then get 2 of the FAN RGB Hubs, each of those will plug in to the corsair commanders RGB lighting connections and give 12 RGB Fan outs (All addressable DRGB as well) which will work with your fans.

And lastly, due to the fact I have never replaced a GPU cooler I wouldn't mind quickly booting the PC to the BIOS screen to make sure I haven't borked anything. Do you think it is ok to boot the system for a minute or so without any liquid circulating?

Thanks again.
If the water block is attached but with no water, it will be fine for a quick boot to bios for a few seconds, the GPU Block has a nice large metal heatsink which will be OK.

Soldato
While I can attest that loop order makes little difference, it does make some.

Rig1:

DDC-TitanX-1070-G4400-280mm rad-280mm rad.

The 1070 is hotter than the Titan despite a much lower wattage. However, going from one GPU to a rad and back to a GPU would be very messy.

Rig 2:

DDC-1070-240mm-2600K-240mm

1070 is 14C cooler than the other rig's 1070 despite a higher overclock and voltage = >wattage.

So my advice would be that if you can go from the GPU up to the top radiator then back to the CPU then the front radiator will not be a tricky loop and will loop quite good.

Soldato
@Demon What is that cool display you are using and please tell me it's easy to get hold of?
I was inspired by someone on here that put it in the PSU cutout on the side of the case , I was going to do the same but liked the idea of having it right in front of me (as it's USB, you are flexible with where it's located).

It’s the LCDsysinfo 3.5” display that is made for their free GOverlay (software)
http://www.goverlay.com/content/lcdsysinfo2/
I just bought it through their eBay link, which took a couple of weeks to arrive, but wasn't too bad!

Software wise, I’m running GOverlay (needed to Drive the display) and SIV64X (free system information viewer) that will allow GOverlay to talk to the Corsair commander pro. It can also gather info from AIDA64, but I found that a bit cpu intensive.
Technically GOverlay does more but I disable everything else..
It has LCD Profiles that allow any manner of screen setups, and you then just modify one of those as you want, dropping icons, text and sensor values around. I prefer the white background ones myself, but so many other examples are given with the software you can pretty much do whatever you want. As can be seen, the entire setup, surfing the web and playing some music only consumed 0.4% overall CPU usage (R2700X), so it seems to not get in the way.

The desk stand I 3D printed (will pop the design up on Thingiverse later on).

If using with a Corsair device, then the best way to run things is to initially set everything up using corsairs iCUE, then ensure iCUE is set not to start with windows and instead get GOverlay (has an option) to start with windows, and you'll need to make a scheduled task in windows for SIV64X to start at logon (with the -TRAY command line option). Then it works pretty reliably.

While I can attest that loop order makes little difference, it does make some.

However, going from one GPU to a rad and back to a GPU would be very messy.

I think we all agree that for a first timer, routing is probably the primary concern you should spend effort on, if you are chasing the degree or so of delta across a single waterblock you might want to make that the priority. Personally fan configuration and routing are the ones I always put effort into.

Here's the last rig I did with GPU->CPU->TOP RAD->BOTTOM RAD (Top RAD was X-Flow for routing purposes)
KdcKR4p.jpg

Back
Top Bottom