First time watercooler - spec + questions

Associate
If it is the one I just looked at the it uses standard 1/4" fittings so physically compatible. No idea where the 2 pin header goes.

V F

V F

Soldato
There are two 2 pin heat sensors that plug into on the Gigabyte Aorus Z490 Xtreme. EC_TEMP1 and 2.

You can see them in the BIOS on the second picture. https://www.anandtech.com/show/14807/the-gigabyte-x570-xtreme/3

"EC_TEMP1/EC_TEMP2 (Temperature Sensor Headers)
Connect the thermister cables to the headers for temperature detection.
"

I'm assuming that's right. Sensor IN/GND for the connectors.

The fans get the controls from selecting that input.

https://store.overclockers.co.uk/xspc-temperature-sensor-2-x-g1-4-fitting-chrome-wc-47g-xs.html

Associate
I have one of those, one in my loop connected to the back of my pump inlet fittings and the another that reads air temperature which is routed to the front of my intake fans just behind the front panel to read the air temperature.
As you say they are connected to the EC_TEMP1 & EC_TEMP2 headers on the motherboard, my fan curve is set using the EC_TEMP2 which is my water temp sensor.

V F

V F

Soldato
Dang, I was so close to getting this perfect. Riser bracket couldn't sit in its normal position as it would bunch up the riser cable. So had to move it forward to the edge of the case but now the GPU fittings is hitting off the CPU fittings. Bending the tubes would be too complex with all the tight angles in that area.

The only route I can see is running the case with the side panel off. As the GPU is too tall to get the door closed. Unless there was a way I could find someone good with acrylics to make a new extended door.

I've read people running the Dynamic 011 with the door off because their watercooled GPU was simply too tall. Unreal how thin they made that part of the case. This is a puzzler.

V F

V F

Soldato
The GPU inlet/outlet sits a lot higher than yours. I originally had to use two 14 offset rotaries daisy chained to bring it up above the edge of the GPU ports.

The GP riser couldn't sit where yours is as it bunches up the cable so hard and hits the fittings. Bring it forward and I cannot use the outer GPU fittings. It's practically flush with the edge of the case. The GPU outlet port still hits the outlet CPU fittings.

Associate
The GPU inlet/outlet sits a lot higher than yours. I originally had to use two 14 offset rotaries daisy chained to bring it up above the edge of the GPU ports.

The GP riser couldn't sit where yours is as it bunches up the cable so hard and hits the fittings. Bring it forward and I cannot use the outer GPU fittings. It's practically flush with the edge of the case. The GPU outlet port still hits the outlet CPU fittings.

ahh i see.. hmm.

I guess it'll be a tight squeeze if you get a low profile 90degree rotary.. or even a static 90 (with a bit of wiggling) and soft tubing for that area..

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitspower-90-degree-ig-1-4-adapter-matte-black-wc-275-bp.html

Get a piccie up at a few angles and i'm sure we can work something out

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
I'm really not wanting to mix soft tubing with the loop. I'm going to go the normal route putting the card in horizontal and see if I can find a glass or perspex maker to build a new panel with longer latches sometime down the line.

The space that's left is beyond stupidly tight with the card going in vertically.

Associate
Get a shorter riser cable. I have Linkup 10cm pcie 4 riser cable and it works fine. That brand does every length and type of riser cable you can imagine. Can then mount card where you want.

When I was trying to use the 20cm cable that came with the Lian Li kit I could instantly tell it was not going to work. No idea why it comes with 20cm cable.

V F

V F

Soldato
Even if I did get a shorter riser cable, I've tried every combination to try and not hit the CPU fittings. The GPU in/out ports are just too tall with the CPU fittings. The acrylic in/out was putting some pressure on the CPU fittings.

Then I can't get my fingers in to tighten up the fittings. At one point because everything was all extended, I was up to 11 rotary offset fittings because the graphics card pushing everything up. This is what has been taking me so long trying every combination. Even bending the pipes would have been too tight for the angles they were pushed off from. They would be all weird S shape wiggles trying to get past it all the tight areas.

The GPU in/out ports at the top of the acrylic was inline with the top of the CPU block.

With it setup now for the graphics card horizontally, I'm down to 4 offset 14mm rotaries.

What I think I am going to do is make a thicker aluminium frame for the glass side panel so it extends the glass panel. Then I wont need a new side panel.

Associate
Without a picture it is hard to visualise the problems you are having. I have plenty of room with vert mounted card and dynamic but I did not go for bottom rad and I am happy with that decision.

V F

V F

Soldato
Yeah but you also don't have a front distro plate. Between the hardware labs radiator on the bottom at 29.6cm, then the ek fans at 27.5cm that's 57.1cm.

Can't mount the radiator on the side with a front distro plate.

V F

V F

Soldato
This is quite funny, the last tubing line (GPU outlet) is 6mm out with the front distro plate. Short of one fitting to have it perfectly horizontal. Mechanical lego sure is fun.

At least the door extension is going to work out well. I only need 1.5cm clearance to make a new frame extender.

V F

V F

Soldato
What a nerve racking challenge going through all the fittings. 46 fittings in total I think it was that I counted.
My version of thumb tight to no more versus other people's descriptions ended up loose. :cry:

Yes, people say they prefer bends in their tubes but I really loved the look of the straight line runs of that guy's Megatron 2.0 straight line build that I was trying to replicate.

It has been leak testing/holding for over an hour now.

51573010263_ef2db9c8ba_b.jpg

51573010048_deecbca2ff_b.jpg

51573454224_ba1a4fcddd_b.jpg
51572773481_f66e201ea3_b.jpg

51573697235_ea2fa0cfde_b.jpg

Associate
Looks great. Industrial chic at its best.

Just need few more mm width and the GPU would be fine. Is a great case but that is annoying.

V F

V F

Soldato
Also, one other thing... any recommendations on coolants or stick with distilled? I'm wanting to stick with clear as the pipes are PMMA. I want to stick to very easy maintenance.

Associate
hmm very easy maintenance would stick with distilled.. perhaps with a drop of concentrate on it if you want colour. PMMA is acrylic right? If so, then should't really need to worry about staining compared to PETG

Associate
Yeah, PMMA is acrylic. How often would it need to be changed with distilled?

typically if you like doing housekeeping every 6 months on average.. though i've had loops running using same liquid for more than a couple years no issues.. the rig in my previous post before i moved the components into the UMX4 case, was in a 750D, and the loop was still fine after 5 years.
You won't get any leeching like you would with soft tubes etc.

Plus if you did go with colour, it won't be maintenance free since they will eventually clog up your waterblocks (not end of world, flush, clean blocks with toothbrush, reloop).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom