First time watercooler - spec + questions

Soldato
OP
Ah I see what you mean regarding routing issues. For that reason I am thinking of 2x EK slim 360 rads. According to their configurator they should provide sufficient cooling for my system.

I am hoping to mimic this;

g1-03.jpg

Associate
They make it look so simple and I am sure it is with the correct components. Even zoomed in it is hard to see what extenders or rotary fittings they have used.

I Think I can make my problem link work with 28mm and 7mm extender, will let you know how it works when they arrive in a week's time.

Associate
from what i can see on that pic, they eyeballed the measurement for the GPU and bent the tubes to limit the number of corner connectors. The top rad appears to be 7mm extenders while the GPU has 2x45degree and a 90 degree connector.

2-Look for different fittings till I can make it work. I think I can make all fittings link with a 34mm male to male extender, will look at how to make that work and may have to look elsewhere.
May be able to get away with one of these or 2 45degree connectors?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-w...d-2-45-degrees-g1-4-inch-black-wc-728-ek.html

Last edited:
Associate
Well I have my troublesome bend in place so I can soldier on now.

https://ibb.co/5TYWpXv

I hope your links are easier and less expensive than that one. I know the lower link is ugly and I can see the EK fittings do not work with the white and I have ordered another £200 of EK fittings and will not use the Alphacool white ones, they were the cause of so many of my problems in the first place and I wish I had never ordered them.

I tried my first bend earlier and I was about 2cm out. Will not be eyeballing it in future and will have to work out a way to measure a lot better. More practice tomorrow.

Soldato
OP
Purchased most of my bits. Delivery scheduled for tomorrow. Looking forward to ripping my machine apart and getting the water components in place.

I have thermal grizzly by the truck load, is this ok for use with water blocks? Or should I just use the compound provided?

Associate
Thermal grizzly is fine, it's what I used. Some EK blocks shipped with it from what I haven't read but both mine came with just the EK stuff.

Associate
Just make sure all the screws are tight on the water blocks before you fit them as some of their quality control seems to be a bit hit and miss reading what issues some others have.

Soldato
OP
refuse the order and it will go back. Then you can buy something better.

Had a good look at everything ordered and can’t see any issues. The 3080fe block is magnificent.

Got it all offered up last night so need to order fittings, pipe work and fluid, now that I have an idea of routining etc.

any recommendations for pipe size?

Soldato
OP
So far I've;
  • Case stripped down and cleaned
  • CPU block fitted
  • Bottom rad cleaned out and fitted
  • Bottom fans fitted pulling air through the rad/bottom of the case
  • Distro plate fitted
Findings;

• CPU block fitting instructions state "tighten thumb screws until they bottom out" which is a very uncomfortable procedure. It almost feels like somethings going to break with the noise coming from the springs and fixings.
  • Read about EK equipment and radiator contamination from now so decided to flush both of mine. Radiators were spotless and nothing came out so feel like this was wasted effort. Maybe their QC has improved?
  • I've gone for the lian li uni fans. The fit is really tight and the uni-fan contacts are close to contacting with the radiator fittings. Manual states cover these with insulation tape, just looks a little naf.

Jobs for tonight/the weekend;

• Fit top rad
  • Fit top rad fans blowing through rad out through the top of the case
  • Fit 3080FE block
  • Pipe up
  • Fill
  • Leak test
  • Bench test
I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

Associate
Had a good look at everything ordered and can’t see any issues. The 3080fe block is magnificent.

Got it all offered up last night so need to order fittings, pipe work and fluid, now that I have an idea of routining etc.

any recommendations for pipe size?

Given the size of the case, 16mm HDC should be fine... though have heard it gets a bit finiky when combined with a distro plate as the connectors are so close together... so i reckon either 14 or 16mm

Associate
Findings;

• 1-CPU block fitting instructions state "tighten thumb screws until they bottom out" which is a very uncomfortable procedure. It almost feels like somethings going to break with the noise coming from the springs and fixings.

• 2-I've gone for the lian li uni fans. The fit is really tight and the uni-fan contacts are close to contacting with the radiator fittings. Manual states cover these with insulation tape, just looks a little naf.

Jobs for tonight/the weekend;

• 3-Fit top rad
  • 3-Fit top rad fans blowing through rad out through the top of the case
  • 4-Fit 3080FE block
  • 5-Pipe up
  • Fill
  • Leak test
  • Bench test

1- I also did not like the EK attachment mechanism and the Corsair block I have fitted is much easier/nicer to fit - It even had instructions.

2- I am using Lian Li SL120 fans. On the end where the fittings will be there will are little pieces of plastic that can be used to connect another fan. Check that these pieces of plastic will not interfere with the fittings you need, I used a dremel to remove it. I also had to use the dremel to make small indentations into the fans plastic to help the fitting sit properly and not at an odd angle and I could do with taking a touch more off tbh. I did not use the supplied tape that came with the fans and I have covered with 3/4 strips of normal white electrical tape, it is not perfect but does look better than the padded piece they supplied. I hope the fans work ok with just this and will let you know if I have an issue.

3- I had to attach fans and fittings to the rad before put it into place but you are using thinner rad so may be easier.

4- I was using Phanteks block for 6800 and had good instructions and was easiest part of the build , hope it goes ok for you.

5- took me 2-3 hours to do my pipes. Only 5 of them and 4 of them are just simple 90 degrees with just 1 tricky one.

I am currently doing a pressure test with the EK tool and I have an air tight loop so I am much happier. I would recommend an air pressure test tool.

I found the EK fittings 16mm HDC much easier than the Alphacool ones and it also means all the fittings match

V F

V F

Soldato
I'm also thinking of going full water cooling setup in this case. 2 thick 360mm radiators for silence but it seems I cannot find a water block for the EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3.

Soldato
So far I've;

• CPU block fitting instructions state "tighten thumb screws until they bottom out" which is a very uncomfortable procedure. It almost feels like somethings going to break with the noise coming from the springs and fixings.
  • Read about EK equipment and radiator contamination from now so decided to flush both of mine. Radiators were spotless and nothing came out so feel like this was wasted effort. Maybe their QC has improved?
  • I've gone for the lian li uni fans. The fit is really tight and the uni-fan contacts are close to contacting with the radiator fittings. Manual states cover these with insulation tape, just looks a little naf.
I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

Its fine. In all honesty you dont need to tighten them to maximum. Just ensures good paste spread and that the block is square. I always put washers under the springs smooth side down so the black painted mounting plate doesn't get scratched.

If its an acetal/acrylic block don't re-tighten the screws up as others have suggested. Over time the block will splinter as acetal is very brittle, they are torqued quite low for that reason. It wont leak just doesn't look nice.

Back
Top Bottom