First time WC tomorrow, some pointers?

Associate
When you were filling the res did you turn the. Pump on or leave. It off?

best thing to do is fill the res and let the pipes fill (do this slowly until half full res) turn on the pump after and keep filling res until 1/2 - 3/4 full. Guessing you didn't have a problem the first time when flushing the rad?

OK sounds like it ran dry... :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Its now working?

From reading around it seems it may be purely down to the amount of air in my system to begin with.

I filled the res (its 2.5L) first before I powered anything on.

Soldato
OP
Haha! :D

Yeah I'm going to leave it going while I have my stella and chinese!

No leaks so far.

I felt like crying into my beer when I heard that noise!

Soldato
OP
Ah you using the Reserator?

I am indeed, with the reserator pump ripped out and un-needed holes blocked off :)

Getting a minor leak from the bottom join of the HF top, I did question the gap with CS they said it was fine, obviously not, next time I'll buy the parts and build it my self. Going to attempt to give it a little nip up now, I'm going to choke someone with the pump if the top cracks!

Currently running the D5 at the highest speed to get shot of some of the air, once its out I'll probably drop the speed down to 2-3 (of 5).

Soldato
OP
Tell me about it, I had to get two long strips of 8mm flat bar, clamp the bars in a vice, slot the reserator into the flatbar, then put a 1/4" nipple in the hole and then a 4ft bar on the end of the nipple and push like hell, certainly not designed for the end user to remove I would say :D

Soldato
OP
Nah, I'm hopeful the pressure the pump creates wont draw in too much of the freshly dumped water, if it does its just come out of a 1080 rad so should be cool either way.

Thinking of making an external overkill res for yourself jokester?

Soldato
OP
It should certainly help, iirc the reserator (v1/1+) can dissipate between 160w and 200w of heat.

If you have them laying around then it wouldn't hurt to try :)

Have you removed the pumps already?

Associate
My only personal advice (from experience) is before you put the liquid in, check everything is how it should be, check again, then check again. Do not try and rush anything. If you don't finish it in one day, spread it over two days. Do everything slowly and carefully. Not sure if others agree with me here but I like to start the PC up and get into the bios for a split second before I add liquid just to make sure everything is still working. Add the liquid slowly constantly checking for leaks. Have a bucket handy and plenty of paper towels. It is also very useful to have an assistant if possible. Keep all tools you thing you may need at arms reach when filling just in case.

For example, when I first tried to fill my loop my pump top was cracked and I didn't notice until I started filling when red liquid started going everywhere. Had my brother on hand and I don't think I could have recovered the situation if I didn't have the extra pair of hands.

Oh, and good luck :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks guitarman0 :)

I think/hope everything is now leak free and working, most of the visible air bubbles are out of the system, the res dropped about half a litre while bleeding so thats now topped up. Had a basin on hand, also the res and rad are both connected with QDC's which were also on hand, so if the worst happened then everything was at arms reach to minimize spillage.

Tightened the pump top up, managed to get another 3/4 turn on each screw with ease before it started to feel tight.

Will be updating my project log with pictures either later tonight or tomorrow morning.

My thumbs are now starting to develop blisters thanks to those tech lab compression fittings :p

Soldato
OP
We are up and running!

Remember when I disconnected the 8pin EPS cable to leak test? yeah well I didn't, plugged it back in powered on, got a CPU Error LED, wanted to cry, realised the EPS cable was hanging out, plugged it in and we are go!

Just did some quick IBT runs, idle temps over 16c (amb is around 22c), after 5 runs we peaked at 48c, to put that in context my H80 would hit around 72c from a few runs.

Both GPU's are sat idling at 21c :D

Only problem at the moment is my Xonar isn't picking up a power source, I've probably knocked something loose while brute forcing the other side panel on :p

Edit: Just did a quick Kombuster test on the preset extreme, on air it would float around the 80c mark, now it peaked at a whopping 29c!

Very happy atm, a huuuge thank you to everyone who has helped, its taken me nearly 9 hours in total, but worth it :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
And a picture of my efforts too:

IMG_20120317_223544.jpg

Back
Top Bottom