First Upgrade in 4 years.

Man of Honour
Was really thinking there would have been a X299 replacement by now to upgrade to but I think the days of HEDT are gone with such high core counts on desktop parts.

There are rumours (mostly based on a recent AIDA64 update) that Intel are planning new HEDT CPUs, but judging by threadripper, they would be far more expensive (relatively) than they used to be.

Associate
Yeah saw his video before when trying to find info on the extreme and he really doesn't like the trend of expensive motherboards but I think that's what motherboard manufactures are going to continue to do. Fortunately the cost of the board wasn't really an issue atm as if I don't get this board I'll end up spending the money on some other flight of fancy... I haven't been gaming on PC for a few years now and been on consoles but would really love to get back into PC gaming, that's what has spurred on this to build a new rig. Its annoying how the brands spread simple features out on boards to build wider price bands.

I have the o11 evo coming tomorrow so will see if even a eatx board will fit with my layout in mind may end up going different route due to that.

I do appreciate your opinions and atleast know now most probably won't even make a quarter of the money back if I try to sell the motherboard a few years on, as I did ok with the X299 Rampage 6 extreme.

Was really thinking there would have been a X299 replacement by now to upgrade to but I think the days of HEDT are gone with such high core counts on desktop parts.
Alright. No stress.

As long as you know that it’s overpriced but are ok with that, go for it.

I, personally, like seriously high speed RAM abilities because I like to overclock but that’s not your cup of tea and that’s fine.

Enjoy the new rig!!!

Associate
Bit late to make a comment, but as you like tinkering and it seems you're building this for gaming, why don't you just get the AMD 5800X3D cpu for £410 (it beats the 12900k in gaming on av) and pair with a decent B550 board). Pair it with your current 32gb 3200Mh DDR4 ram, either use your 1080ti or get a 3080/6800XT (should save £300-£500 over a 3080ti alone) enjoy the build to help scratch that itch, then with all the massive saving you made(well over 4 figures when taking mobo into account), splurge it on either AM5/6900XT/7900XT/4090 or Z690/raptorlake/4090/7900XT at the end of the year which will knock socks off todays build(DDR5 ram s/b faster/cheaper also hopefully)... todays build will still be high end and in demand, so wont loose your shirt when you sell it...
then you get to do 2 builds...
you never know, 1st build might calm the urge to build again, just get new gpu, flog 6800XT/3080, upgrade board for 14th gen/Z790 board or AM5 equivalent after kinks been worked out a year later

Associate
OP
Taken nearly 3 months to get all the core components, maybe if I new how long it was gonna be I would have just waited till next gen stuff. I had the most of the core gear already so decided to just finish build well sort of, now I want get the EK monoblock and change the rads two matching sizes that fit this setup also use satin black tubing.

Bd8TKwH.jpg

Back
Top Bottom